You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Drinking Hours
February 21, 2018, 12:59pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Drinking Hours Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Drinking Hours  This thread currently has 5,784 views. Print Print Thread
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
NeilT
May 6, 2004, 10:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.06
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 48 minutes
Next year should see the law on drinking hours in the UK relaxed. So no more pubs being forced to close at 11.00pm
Is this a good or a bad thing ?  

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
NeilT
May 6, 2004, 10:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I think, that after a couple of years this will be a great thing for the UK. As it is, we get the last "bell" and then every one "doubles up" and by 11.30 towns are full of drunks, that want to get home. Its then a case of over load, as the public/private transport can not cope.
Not that long ago, Sunday hours were relaxed, and we were told by many that this would be a disaster. I would say that the opposite is true, and Sunday afternoons, can be very much a family day, being able to go out for dinner, and not rushing.
One of the reasons why the Brits go mad, when abroad, is that they are not used to 24/7 opening hours, and they are on a mission to drink as much as they can, because at home that is what you have to do. So, maybe after a few years this will also help this yob problem.

The only worry is for bar staff, and the way that they may be treated by landlords/Lady's but lets hope that this also will find a balance.

I know that some times after a very long day, it can be gone 11.00pm before I relax, and it would be nice to have the option to go to a local bar for a couple of pints.

After hours "sticky doors" has been around as long as I have been drinking. My main local lets me stay for a "sticky" but its like being a naught boy with curtains closed, and shhhhhh if they think the police are out side...

OK, that my thoughts...  

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 1 - 37
MaXiNe
May 7, 2004, 6:36am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 0.35
I think it's a good idea.

I think when it is first introduced, there will be people who will abuse it, but isn't that the case in many things in life....?  

It will make life easier for Police because they won't have to use extra staff or "specials" to stand outside pubs at the same time, as each pub/club will close at it's own preferred time....

The only "downside" I can see would probably be staff... I do part time bar work, but there is no way I would want to work beyond midnight - only because I work full time too and have to be up at 6am, and sometimes I'm knackered getting up after 5 and a half hours kip..... having said that though, it could be good for employment because more permanent bar staff could be taken on and therefore create new jobs and get people off the dole queue....

They could also make provisions for "short shifts" for people who wish to continue bar work as a second job, and then keep everyone "happy" and the drinking public too....  

So generally, yes, I'd give this idea the

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it

GOD ONLY KNOWS - THE BEACH BOYS - 1966
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 37
Key.
May 7, 2004, 3:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Navigation
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Me and my friends normally do not go out before 10 pm... So, I'm happy, that -here- the bars could be open, as long as they want...
Well, I normally don't go out in the UK, so the closing time is no problem for me. But I think, that it would be quite nice to have the opportunity to go out as long as you want...  

And certainly, the next OMD Party will be longer then till 12 o'clock...??!!  

I'm 22, the world's still mine...

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 37
NeilT
May 7, 2004, 7:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
You are right Key, I have been out and about in Koln till very late, and only in small bars with just a few people. Its nice to not have to rush.
The OMD Parties normally go on till 1.00 / 2.00am but the hotel we used wanted extra money to keep the bar open!! but, , I did not go to bed till gone 4.00 am

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 4 - 37
MJB
January 23, 2006, 8:05am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I was once a New Romantic, but never was a
Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.29
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 15 minutes
.... and this actually happened in November 2005

Cheers Everyone!

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 37
NeilT
January 23, 2006, 3:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
and where was/is all of the trouble that was predicted When the UK gets real 24 hour drinking it will be better, instead of the extra hour or so we have

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 37
MJB
January 24, 2006, 7:27am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I was once a New Romantic, but never was a
Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.29
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 15 minutes
There was a smattering of trouble - but let's face it, you get that every weekend, everywhere in the country - that was absolutely nothing to do with extended hours ..... despite what the "do-gooders" said.

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 37
Steph
January 24, 2006, 11:53am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Party on!
The More I See You
Fairy Princess
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Time Online: 17 days 16 hours 11 minutes
Sometimes when you are out and you don't get out too much, it is nice to think that by 11.30pm you don't get thrown out of somewhere and have to go home and now you can go home when you have had your fill.  What I hate is the people who can't handle their drink and become abusive and cause trouble.  I'm not out for that kind of thing, I want to have fun and enjoy myself without having that sort of cr*p to contend with.

I am a fairy princess, what is your wish.....
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 37
NeilT
January 25, 2006, 1:21am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I would use tonight as a class example, I was in a meeting all night, and not drinking as I was driving, did not get home till not far from midnight, and would have loved to have gone to a local bar, just for a couple of beers to wind down.. But hey, mid week, and the UK, it all shuts at 11.00!! Ta!

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Drinking Hours

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread