You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Is The Motorist Taxed Too Much?
November 17, 2018, 2:09am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Is The Motorist Taxed Too Much? Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Is The Motorist Taxed Too Much?  This thread currently has 9,459 views. Print Print Thread
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » All Recommend Thread
NeilT
June 4, 2004, 8:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.91
Time Online: 153 days 12 hours 18 minutes
If you are a car driver, then you will know how much tax in one form or another you have to pay.
A huge amount of tax on petrol, then we have road tax, Tax on a new car if you buy one, tax that is collected on your insurance, tax that is collected if you use a toll road.
Do Motorist pay too much tax?

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
NeilT
June 4, 2004, 8:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Being a car driver, it seems that the motorist is a way to get more tax. The amount of tax that is paid in petrol, is like wild.
Even though the government say they want more use from public transport, for many people it does not work. To travel on public transport is expensive, unreliable,dirty and often over crowded.
I love it when I go to Germany, as the public transport that I have used has been top class and very, very reliable,and clean!  not cheap, but it does work.

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 1 - 62
Paul B
June 4, 2004, 9:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Posts Per Day: 0.06
I have to say that I have little problem with public transport - when it's running OK.

However, whenever something goes wrong (and I'm talking trains here) then it *really* goes wrong due to a failure in communication by the staff/management.

One of the favourite tricks when weekend engineering works are in force is to divert trains on my normal line to a different main London terminal and then shuttle trains from there into central London. They never, never, never flag this up on any signboard and there's been many a time I've been stood on London Bridge station looking at the monitors like a lemon waiting for an announcement.

I don't mind things going wrong, but please *tell* us when it's going wrong m'kay?

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 62
MaXiNe
June 7, 2004, 6:20am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 0.34
I think that motorsists are taxed FAR too much.

I work - currently - ten miles from home, after I get married, it will be 31 miles from home (making a 62 mile round trip per day)

I think I will have to consider giving up my job here because any money that we may have spare will go on running the car - and as I'm not that happy in my job I will REALLY begrudge spending extra cash to get here (plus extra hours as well......)

And as for the public transport where I live..... (well, you have to laugh, otherwise you'd bloody )

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it

GOD ONLY KNOWS - THE BEACH BOYS - 1966
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 62
Duncan
June 11, 2004, 7:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Almost
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Time Online: 30 minutes
Are motorists taxed too much - NO!

For the last two years I've had to do a 70 mile round trip - cost me about £20-22 in diesel a week - not really different from public transport costs, plus it gave me the advantage of the freedom to travel where I wanted to out of work hours.

You pays your money - you takes your choice.

As for Road tax - well it goes towards road building - no problem with that.

Fuel costs high?  should encourage better economy

If it wasnt on the fuel it would be on the income tax - end of story.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 62
NeilT
June 11, 2004, 7:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Quoted Text
If it wasnt on the fuel it would be on the income tax - end of story

you what?? 80% tax on income.... yea right

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 5 - 62
Duncan
June 12, 2004, 11:32am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Almost
Neil - why do you continually show your lack of knowledge of the taxation system in the UK?

Its like the neanderthal fuel protesters a few years ago greedily holding the country to ransom - demanding cuts in fuel duty.  Many of these anyway in the farming business pay very considerably reduced levels of duty anyway - I think its referred to as "red diesel"

Fine - cut fuel duty, but how can the government cover the shortfall - by increasing taxes elsewhere.

80% tax on income - where did I say this?

Lets look at mainland Europe as a valid comparison - lower fuel duties than us, but higher VAT and higher income taxes.

I cannot understand the mentality of the motorist who bleats about fuel taxation - like the smoker who whinges about excise duties or the drinker about booze taxes.

If you want to drive, smoke or drink - then you have to expect to pay for it, and a tax on consumption is by far the fairest way of doing it.  If the duties werent there then the money would need to be raised elsewhere - probably by direct taxation.

How many times does it need to be repeated - the UK, by EU and OECD standards, is a LIGHTLY taxed country.  It may not feel that way when you fill up at the pump, but looking at the overall picture - which surely is the only way to make an objective assessment, the facts speak for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 62
NeilT
June 12, 2004, 7:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Quoted Text
Neil - why do you continually show your lack of knowledge of the taxation system in the UK?
  if I had a lack of knowledge, I very much doubt that I would have run my own business for over 19 years?

The fuel protester had a point to make, and here in the UK we have the freedom to do such things, and while I may not agree with what they did, the did raise some points, that brought issues to the masses

Next you will be saying that many speed cameras that are on the roads are not tax collecting machines...

Quoted Text
As for Road tax - well it goes towards road building - no problem with that.
errr, no most of the road tax collected does not go on road building, it goes back to the Treasury, most road building is funded from your council tax..

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 7 - 62
Duncan
June 12, 2004, 9:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Almost
”  if I had a lack of knowledge, I very much doubt that I would have run my own business for over 19 years"

er no Neil, having spent the last two years assisting typical small businessmen with tax issues, I can wholeheartedly say that success at business is not dependent in any way on understanding the tax system - except for the golden principle of paying in cash when you can get away with it!  Most of them were shockingly ignorant -  and not just about tax I might add!

"The fuel protester had a point to make, and here in the UK we have the freedom to do such things, and while I may not agree with what they did, the did raise some points, that brought issues to the masses"

except it was not informed debate - eg the farmers making out that they were paying full whack rather than reduced amounts, and the hauliers bleating about fuel costs as an excuse to cover dodgy businesses, as their 35 tonne trucks progressively grind the roads into dust.

All we had was "tabloid" debate...

"Next you will be saying that many speed cameras that are on the roads are not tax collecting machines... "

Sorry Neil, but again thats just rubbish.  There was a great TV programme on a year or so ago where they had some indignant anti speed camera campaigners point out their least favourite camera sights.  The programme makers then produced a road safety expert, who calmly and rationally pointed out the genuine safety reasons for having the cameras in that particular spot.  This showed the anti camera nutters in their true light, as a bunch of selfish whingers who wanted to drive at whatever speed they wanted regardless of the law and the consequences.

I'm in favour of speed cameras as they are currently used.  I'm no Angel- I speed on the motorway when I can get away with it, but the point is, we have speed limits, and if you dont want to keep to them and then get caught, dont bleat about it.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who gets done in a 40mph zone.  Generally there are very good reasons for not having a national speed limit on a road, and if there are cameras - which have warning signs, and you get flashed then you only have yourself to blame.

As for road tax - of course it doesnt cover the full cost of the road, but it is a genuine and very rare example of hypethecation (spelling?) in which the funds go towards the cost of the road.  I'd be interested to know however what proportion of road costs are covered by Council Tax - there is of course a huge difference in something being paid for by the local Council and actually being funded by the Council Tax.  Since the 1980s (IIRC) the proportion of local council funding has fallen more and more on grants from Central government as opposed to local rates/poll tax/council tax.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 62
NeilT
June 12, 2004, 10:25pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
2 years assisting   thats sums it up in one   As for running any business a good accountant is worth his/her weight in gold, not some one that "assist"

What you on about "not informed debate" I think the whole county was debating the fuel demos, and it was not just about truck drivers, the whole issue affects just about every business. I do not read the tabloids, well very rare, so where you keep going on about the tabloids is beyond me? You must read be a tabloid reader to know so much about them..

Agree with the reason why we should have speed cameras, very much so.. But we now have chief constables saying that where we have many of them is wrong.. and I think that they know a little more about this than you or I.. Come on, it is a well know fact, that many cameras are put up, not in accident zones, but where easy money can be made from them.. Also, as facts re the effect of speed cames is coming to light, it has now been proven, that in many cases, they are more of a danger than anything else..
Quoted Text
I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who gets done in a 40mph zone
mnnnn, have you noticed that many cameras are put bang on the line from a 50mph to a 40mph, and if you did not know an area, you are little more than easy prey.. How many times have you been in a un familiar area, and not got a clue what the speed zone is?? Oh hang on, you will know it all  

As for how much funding goes on to the roads from local council tax.. well who knows, as each council is run different....

Off topic a little, but my area "Trafford" run by Labour, all of a sudden started to do work on the roads around here, and we even had road sweepers out in force on the minor roads.. This had never been seen before.. and when I questioned it, the answer was, well we have the local elections coming up!! Guess what? Labour are no longer in control  

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Is The Motorist Taxed Too Much?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread