You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

A Share _ NOT A PROBLEM
October 18, 2018, 6:40pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: Got A Problem? ::::    :::: Agony Aunts & Uncles ::::  ›  A Share _ NOT A PROBLEM Moderators: MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

A Share _ NOT A PROBLEM  This thread currently has 2,929 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
NeilT
September 4, 2006, 10:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.92
Time Online: 153 days 12 hours 2 minutes
Thought I would share this story with you. This is not a problem as I have dealt with it, but more of a what can, and does happen to people.

OK, I live in a sleepy area, and it is for the most part safe, I leave my back door open and my windows, and for home it has always been safe. I live above and behind a shop that I won, and I am used to the shop getting broken into etc, that is part n parcel of having a shop.

Any way just a couple of weeks back, on a Sunday I had been out, got home about 7.15pm, checked my shop, all was good, but some washing in my washing machine, and took a bath. Came down stairs into my living room, and sat on the PC. I have huge cellars below me, inc where the washing machine is.
Any way I am tapping away on my keyboard, and I heard a noise in the cellar... mnn I thought, it must be the washing machine... But then I heard a clunk clunk on the cellar door. "$hits I though, there is some one in my cellar"
So I opened my living room door, and there in front of me was some geezer crouched down!! Bllod boils and I run to him to geve him a what for, he puts his hands over hsi head as I am about to "deal" with the problem.. but then another geezer pop ups from my cellar...
At this point I thought I may die.. I did not know if they had a knife, a gun or whatever.. I thought that the least that was going to ahppen is that I would get battered.
The only thing I could do was to get my front door open, and get out on the street, which is what I managed to do, and VERY VERY lucky for me the 2 guys ran.
Did a 999 and the dibble turned up 10 minutes later and they dibble where not from this area. In short I am lucky that I am alive, not injured and have the tale to tell.
Out of all of the things that have taken place in my life, this was the most scared I have ever been, ever...
Just wanted to share this, to show that even in a "nice" area we have our problems... I now have a bit of wood sat by my PC!

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
corky100
September 4, 2006, 11:08pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
Just goes to show how safe the country really is now. I thought burglary was on the decrease, but shows how wrong you can be. I've had my problems as you know, but I haven't been in this situation, and hopefully I never will. Thankfully this sort of thing is quite rare and I hope you don't have to experience anything like it again.
I'm Just glad that you came away from this unscathed, if a little shocked, and can't say I blame you for keeping the piece of wood by the PC. I have some nails for it if you'd like them. Rusty ones at that.

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 28
nigel2568
September 4, 2006, 11:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
I can only echo corkys comments.

Thank God you came out of this unscathed.

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 28
NeilT
September 5, 2006, 12:04am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I did not post this before, as to be honest it was %ucking scary.  But for Corky, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with scumm problems.

there is no answer until we have more police on the streets, but most councils do not really have to much control over this, yet they can police and fine you for spitting out chewing gum... and on the spot.
I have, and will contiue to flag this problem up with police each time I meet them. One day the message may just get home.

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 3 - 28
corky100
September 5, 2006, 12:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Style over content eh Neil? They do go for the easy targets...I can see the banners now:

'We may have the highest crime rates in england, but at least our pavements are clean.' Doesn't do it for me....

It almost feels wrong to say 'I'm not alone' in this here. Some ways I wish I was. As well as this I know there are many more people in a far worse predicament than myself, and in turn I have every sympathy for them, including yourself Neil. But as I have said before, sympathy doesn't make the world a safer place...

I have had 2 calls from councillors this evening, and a couple of visits from police so its getting attention. But Thats another thread...

But in your case, I hope you can at least highlight the problem, and with this I wish you luck; I fear its a national trend as the scum take advantage of the present far-outdated laws we still have here, and with the new amendments introduced it can only get worse. Remember when 'Police Force' meant exactly that?

...and god forbid, what if you actually had managed to hit them? You would Lose much more than just a few hundred quid in fines.

Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 28
Steph
September 5, 2006, 8:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Party on!
The More I See You
Fairy Princess
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Time Online: 17 days 16 hours 11 minutes
wow Neil how scary is that.  I've been in the same situation as you when I lived with my sister.  We have a break in, which I found when I came home from work.  As I waiting for the police to turn up the scumbags until came back to the house for a 2nd time.  I caught one of them and wouldn't let go, I didn't even think about my own safety, I was so incensed by the whole thing that was boiling with anger.  It all went to court, the "kid" got a slapped wrist and that was that.  The other scumbag was the kid that moved in a few doors away and caused problems on the estate.  

I often have thoughts of seeking them out and "doing them over" even to this day.

I am a fairy princess, what is your wish.....
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 28
corky100
September 5, 2006, 9:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Theres a lot to be said for vigilanteism. I can't condone it myself....
Its unfortunate when they have created a state that almost encourages it by taking away all the alternatives slowly but surely.

Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 28
NeilT
September 5, 2006, 10:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Well, this experience, sort of helps me to undrestand the feelings of frustration for victims of crime, and this in turn will reflect on some of my Cllr duties

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 7 - 28
corky100
September 5, 2006, 10:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
I think many councillors are attacked or beaten as a matter of course because of their job, particularly in high crime areas (I know that many here have) and I have to admire them for sticking at it even after that. I'm sure you would have done a good job with this subject anyway, regardless of the incident.

Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 28
Sandra
September 6, 2006, 9:43am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
I can only agree with all the comments.
What shocked me somewhat two summers ago was that when I confronted one teenager because she was shoving her dog down the slide repeatedly, it turned nasty because she was with some much bigger boys and as I was thinking should I call the police or not, the girl said to me "you hit me" - I'll tell...
Obviously, I had not touched any of them. But they have learned to play the system.
Again, I was pretty incensed so grabbed a bottle of water out of my bag and sprayed them with it, then walked away with as calmly as I could...
This all happened in a park in a very posh area.  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 28
Elfi
September 6, 2006, 6:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Time Online: 47 days 12 hours 5 minutes
What a horrible and scary thing to happen....I`m very glad you`re ok....you had your shop robbed too did`nt you?

I leave my doors and windows open ....I thought I was in a nice place too.I should think again.

I was robbed once (well a shop I worked in) about 3 years ago,the guy had a gun and was wearing a ski mask....I was calm at the time,it`s when things are over,it hits me,but that night all I thought of was "if this gun goes off what happens to my kids".....cos it was pointed at my chest and a foot away.Later,I kept thinking about things I`d rather forget.

Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 28
NeilT
September 6, 2006, 7:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Getting the shop broken into, is just part of owning a shop a case of *it happens* Many years back when working in Manchester, I had a blade pulled on me 2 times (knives are not a new thing)
elpatt, a gun, golly that is $hit!

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 11 - 28
Elfi
September 6, 2006, 7:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Getting a knife pulled on you twice,along with other things that have happened to you Neil.....you must have a Guardian Angel.....thankfully.

Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 28
corky100
September 6, 2006, 9:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Unfortunately thats the way it is in Britain now. We really need lawmakers who ain't scared to death of hurting a poor criminals feelings... They certainly ain't scared of hurting the feelings of the victim.

Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 28
Sandra
September 6, 2006, 9:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from corky100
I think many councillors are attacked or beaten as a matter of course because of their job, particularly in high crime areas (I know that many here have)

Hoping you are wrong about that one, Corky!  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 14 - 28
NeilT
September 6, 2006, 9:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Tis not to much of a problem here

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 15 - 28
Elfi
September 7, 2006, 6:15am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Quoted from corky100
I think many councillors are attacked or beaten as a matter of course because of their job, particularly in high crime areas (I know that many here have) and I have to admire them for sticking at it even after that.

Happens here too....letter bombs and petrol bombs usually. >

Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 28
Sandra
September 7, 2006, 8:24am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from Elfi

Happens here too....letter bombs and petrol bombs usually. >

Yikes...

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 17 - 28
Elfi
September 7, 2006, 12:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
But not as much as it used to be.....they`re finding out there`s more gain to be had in extortion and the like....

Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 28
Sandra
September 7, 2006, 10:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from Elfi
But not as much as it used to be.....they`re finding out there`s more gain to be had in extortion and the like....

and that makes me feel much better...  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 19 - 28
NeilT
September 7, 2006, 10:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I did not get warned about this  

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 20 - 28
Elfi
September 7, 2006, 10:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
S`ok....you don`t live here ...Oh,remember I told you I was almost Co-opted....could have happened to me...

Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 28
corky100
September 7, 2006, 11:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Sorry Neil, wasn't an intention to alarm you, as you know these things are very rare, just highlighting what I have been told around here. I'd love to be a councillor but I don't think I have what it takes. By that I mean the energy or the devotion to the job.
I admire anyone who has this amount of devotion to a community to do such a job, especially when they have other jobs to do. And still have time to run a website? well. thats a special talent.

PSSST, I heard a rumour somwhere that Tony's off.....get in there quick Neil.....

Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 28
NeilT
September 7, 2006, 11:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I am just on grass roots lvel, not intention to go as PM or ven a MP, though I have been sort of asked

Round here is safe, and the job is nice to do

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 23 - 28
omj
September 8, 2006, 2:22am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Agnus Dei
The More I See You
Sing Baby Sing
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Time Online: 23 days 8 hours 59 minutes
Crikes - only just read this thread!

Thank goodness you're OK Neil. And elpatt, with that gun experience.

The worst thing that's happened to me this week is finding a frog on my doorstep the other evening. Some quick manoeuvres in the dark to get in the house without it hopping in after me.

Sorry if that's flippant - I sometimes feel guilty for having things so peaceful here - touch wood. *tap tap*

I really do think about you all.

If you don't like something, change it -
REMEMBER - YOU'RE NOT A TREE!

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 24 - 28
corky100
September 8, 2006, 9:41am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
You should have taken pity on that poor little frog. I heard Paul McCartney is thing of a sequel to the god awful 'Frog Chorus' song (to help pay off the soon-to-be-ex Mrs McCartney), so he was probably trying to find somewhere to hide.......

You shouldn't feel Guilty though OMJ, its just bad luck on our parts really. At least everyone is OK and unscathed!!

Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 28
Elfi
September 8, 2006, 10:03am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Quoted from omj
Crikes - only just read this thread!

Thank goodness you're OK Neil. And elpatt, with that gun experience.

The worst thing that's happened to me this week is finding a frog on my doorstep the other evening. Some quick manoeuvres in the dark to get in the house without it hopping in after me.

Sorry if that's flippant - I sometimes feel guilty for having things so peaceful here - touch wood. *tap tap*

I really do think about you all.

I`d love to have seen you OMJ...lol.

And Corky`s right....   

My actuall neighbourhood is quiet,but I`d love to live where you are,i`ve always said that, be perfect for me....

Private Message Private message Reply: 26 - 28
NeilT
September 8, 2006, 6:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
yup same here for the most part a very nice place... Ribbet

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 27 - 28
Elfi
September 8, 2006, 6:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
cheeky.

Private Message Private message Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: Got A Problem? ::::    :::: Agony Aunts & Uncles ::::  ›  A Share _ NOT A PROBLEM

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread