You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...
May 21, 2018, 9:20am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  UK bottom of league for child wellbeing... Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

UNICEF child welfare league - should we be bottom?
No (3 votes)
37.50%
Yes (2 votes)
25.00%
Don't know (2 votes)
25.00%
No view (1 votes)
12.50%
8 Votes Total Last vote February 26, 2007, 9:51pm by Elfi
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...  This thread currently has 6,410 views. Print Print Thread
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Sandra
February 16, 2007, 5:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
Just came across this and was surprised...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_6350000/newsid_6359300/6359333.stm

Are things really that bad? Or are we just too money/work focussed to notice what's happening to our kids?  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
NeilT
February 16, 2007, 10:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Have seen this, and to be honest, I am not that suprised...
Just going to move this to the poll section.

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 1 - 32
Sandra
February 17, 2007, 2:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
oops - wish I'd left the poll off now...  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 2 - 32
corky100
February 18, 2007, 12:54am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
This is what happens when we give everyone more 'rights' than they know what to do with.........

But, Just like the North/South divide, the government etc will still deny it, even though everyone knows it true.
And if they did admit it, they would pass the blame onto the public. Not that they ever passed the blame before.

Or am I just being sceptical? Sarcastic? Near the Knuckle....?

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 32
suec
February 18, 2007, 1:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Time Online: 2 days 6 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from corky100
Or am I just being sceptical? Sarcastic? Near the Knuckle....?

No spot on I think
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 32
Sandra
February 18, 2007, 8:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Hmm... my recent experience in Wythenshawe was that the government sent in a little army of middle class do-gooders who understood nothing about the local problems of the families there, and then wondered why they can't reach the families intended to benefit...  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 5 - 32
TheAviator
February 19, 2007, 11:55am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
The innonence of childhood has been lost.
With the new technology we have, 24 hour tv, pop music promotion etc and so much info thrown at kids by the media most grow up too fast.
Also IMHO they lack pride in their national identity. Can the blame be laid at the door of the free loving Hippies of the 60's?
Certainly if all natural parents had to undergo the same process as foster parents then IMHO a good many wouldn't be allowed children.
But then, this may be down to the criteria in the fostering process being flawed to begin with.

There is also a surprising amount of child poverty in this country.
The Government is failing to tackle it effectively.
Charities are doing a far better job, but they suffer in finding funding.

Personal experience for me is that the charity Home-Start provide excellent service to families with a child under 5. Instead of providing financial support to this charity the Govenment set up Sure-Start, giving it M's,which targeted specific areas of social deprivation and is know replicating those services offered by Home-Start.
I've heard on the grapevine that one aim of Sure Start childrens centres is to get young mums back into employment.  

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 32
corky100
February 19, 2007, 8:16pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
I am working with Surestart centres, and looking to involve with Single-parent families with a view to getting work onto their agenda. In my experience Surestart can make a big difference, but only when the so-called 'deprived' area is correctly identified. Dave you got it spot on with the middle classes army of do gooders. How can a have possibly know what its like to have not? I have been in both positions, and find it hard to convese with such people (who incidentally are responsible for dishing out the funding too) and fail to understand why so many obviously unattainable targets are set as a proviso to recieve said funding.

I am on the frontline so to speak of supplying such a service, and its very unnerving to see where the funding is directed, and the so called 'deprived' recipients...

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 32
Sandra
February 19, 2007, 11:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Surestart do some good things but do starve independent local initialtives of funding, as Dave says, and often fail to reach the most needy. I feel much more would have been achieved if they had worked with the local communities more, and also had more of a clue how the local economy actually works!! The have-nots need to be much more savvy about making a little go a long way and how to get things done...

I have at various times mixed with the well off and the worst off, so can relate to what you say, Corky. The "haves" just don't get it half the time...  

As for Surestart's hidden agenda, Dave, the biggest problem to me is the one that says all kids should be in full time nursery places by three, which flies in the face of my own experinces of dealing with a very distressed daughter who only ever wanted to be full time with mum until she was five and a half... yet I was put under constant pressure to leave her here, there and everywhere, as if that would somehow make her feel more secure  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 8 - 32
NeilT
February 19, 2007, 11:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Cant say to much here, due to my postion, but do keep you thoughts flying.. I am listening...

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread