You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...
August 20, 2018, 11:21am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  UK bottom of league for child wellbeing... Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

UNICEF child welfare league - should we be bottom?
No (3 votes)
37.50%
Yes (2 votes)
25.00%
Don't know (2 votes)
25.00%
No view (1 votes)
12.50%
8 Votes Total Last vote February 26, 2007, 9:51pm by Elfi
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...  This thread currently has 6,608 views. Print Print Thread
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
nigel2568
February 20, 2007, 12:21am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
My feelings about the Nursery School issue, is that until a child is of school age the Government should have NO SAY in the schooling of that child. I have seen time and again that the mother (or resident parent) knows their "baby"better than anybody else, whether it be a doctor or politician. The parent will know when their child is ready for nursery without traumatising the child.

I understand that people are saying that nursery will give a child a better start, I disagree. A happy loving homelife gives a child a better start than forcing a child into a nursery when they are not ready.

Rant Over.

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 32
MJB
February 20, 2007, 7:36am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.18
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
I voted yes, that the UK should be bottom because the decline in this country in the last ten years alone is deplorable; and what the study said all made sense, child poverty, teenage pregancies, underage drinking etc etc

I bet when other countries see our news and see females (not to mention males) sprawled on the roadside outside pubs/clubs vomiting, showing their dirty laundry etc, they must think that Britain has much to be proud of.

People keep keep telling me things will go full circle, but I can't see it happening in this lifetime.

And this government only make it worse.... their priority - stuffing the motorist - everything else can wait..

Get real Mr Blair, the young are the future of this country, and looking at the majority of todays youth, we haven't got a very good future to look towards.... sad, but true...

There are some fabulous youngsters around I agree; but sadly the minority rather than the majority....

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 32
nigel2568
February 20, 2007, 8:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
Quoted from MJB
I voted yes, that the UK should be bottom because the decline in this country in the last ten years alone is deplorable; and what the study said all made sense, child poverty, teenage pregancies, underage drinking etc etc

I bet when other countries see our news and see females (not to mention males) sprawled on the roadside outside pubs/clubs vomiting, showing their dirty laundry etc, they must think that Britain has much to be proud of.

People keep keep telling me things will go full circle, but I can't see it happening in this lifetime.

And this government only make it worse.... their priority - stuffing the motorist - everything else can wait..

Get real Mr Blair, the young are the future of this country, and looking at the majority of todays youth, we haven't got a very good future to look towards.... sad, but true...

There are some fabulous youngsters around I agree; but sadly the minority rather than the majority....

Sad but true I'm afraid. I 'm ashamed to admit I agree totally Maxine.  

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 32
TheAviator
February 21, 2007, 1:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
There are a lot of staff who are part of Surestart and do a great job but Surestart being a Government initiative is target driven.
How do they measure the holistic wellbeing of people they are offering support to?
The services Surestart offer are excellent but are they reaching all those they are targetting?
You need to be sure you can get through to the 'hard to reach' and socially excluded families.
The hard to reach families need a lot of time spent on them to coax them into partaking socially.

The Childrens Centres and Surestart are meant to be part of strategy to provide multi-agency working rolling out services to all families.
Unfortunately in my local area a Surestart manager had a personality clash with a Home Start manager.
The result was Sure-Start started replicating Home Start service in two communities.
Also unless it gets more funding before June, Home Start will close, losing over 40 volunteers supporting almost 70 families and running 3 parent / toddler drop-ins
Some of these families are the hard to reach and are wary of Sure-start as they distrust Government & associations with Social Services.

My goodness I have so much I can say but will stop prattling on at the moment...

MJB said 'There are some fabulous youngsters around I agree; but sadly the minority rather than the majority....'

Sorry but IMHO the fab young ones are the majority, its just that the media prefers to take more notice of the minority

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 32
NeilT
February 22, 2007, 12:36am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.96
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Quoted Text
Sorry but IMHO the fab young ones are the majority, its just that the media prefers to take more notice of the minority
I am not going to do a politacal stance on this but most kids are just fine. As we have 24/7 TV news/media/press it all gets thrown in your face. I do not what TV, apart from the BBC news if I get chance, I do not read ANY newspaper apart from my own local one, as new papers are just a grown up comic, with a politiacal swing.. all a waste of time.
Children services, and other "smaller" issues are often not seen to be a vote catcher.. Elderly people, those with learning disabilities, that that need respite re care, are just lost out... Some of us, do care, and some of us, ware working for the people of this land.

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 14 - 32
MJB
February 22, 2007, 7:23am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.18
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Quoted from TheAviator

MJB said 'There are some fabulous youngsters around I agree; but sadly the minority rather than the majority....'

The Aviator - you are priviledged and VERY lucky to be able to have that opinion.  

IMHO it is certainly not the case in the towns that I have lived in. I don't take any notice of the media, I look out of my own front and back doors. I know elderly people who are terrified by the scum hanging around their houses morning, noon and night 'terrorising' them because they are too frail to fight back. I know very young children who daren't go out to play (in broad daylight) because the "youths" terrorise them. Maybe it depends on the areas that you live, but where I live now, and where I used to live, both used to be wonderful places - not any more....  

So I stand by my "own" opinion that this study was correct, and that we deserve the bottom placing!  

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 32
Love42
February 22, 2007, 8:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The bigger you are...
The More I See You
Neil Deleted Me Once
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Time Online: 261 days 4 hours 51 minutes
We came second   Not that we don't have our share of problems  

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Reply: 16 - 32
TheAviator
February 22, 2007, 12:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
Where I live

Skelmersdale

we have it all,
a socially deprived area,
underage drinking outside shops,
drug users and dealers,
muggers, vandals, car thieves,

see for yourself at (copy and paste)  //icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwork.co.uk/icskelmersdale/

but its not all bad and yet it seems at times its getting worse...

lack of repect and consideration is what the youth have regarding other people particularly their elders  

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 32
Sandra
February 22, 2007, 9:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
The sad thing is that a lot of the bad behaviour is learned...

I am lucky to work with under threes in a deprived area and I am always amazed at how much difference even one session a week at such a young age can make. A little nurturing seems to go a long way then, but many kids have not been lucky enough to experience caring adults at all, and as teenagers they will just lash out at anyone - then we are all losers...  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 18 - 32
corky100
February 22, 2007, 9:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
I've seen it all from the thin edge of the wedge, as most of you are aware, and it can leave a bitter taste in the mouth. But yet I work in an environment where I potentially help people in this bracket, although obviously not the gangster types, they just aren't interested. But to stay on topic, I encounter a terrible range of numeracy and literacy levels, and to me it seems to be ever increasing in youngsters. I see on an almost daily basis teenagers that can't even tell the time for example, a terrible state of affaris that does depress you, especially as it appears that no one actually cares that they can't. Would you employ someone who can't tell the time or even spell through bad, or lacking education?

Its about time the government and powers that can influence decisions based on economy and regional deprivation realised that areas where organisations scream out for money to tackle problems like city centre eyesores, improvement of shopping facilities and community centres and new business complexes are very nice, but they aren't going to stop the country rolling into decline. Basically a government that can admit it doesn't have a clue how to tackle the educational standards problem, so leaves it to other people to deal with, making the problem worse. Liverpool area as far as i can make out has a very high level of workforce that are actually brought in from outside the region. That includes europe.

In 20 years time this will catch up with us big style.

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  UK bottom of league for child wellbeing...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread