You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?
May 21, 2018, 11:13am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering? Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?  This thread currently has 4,853 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
corky100
November 20, 2007, 2:13am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
A small core of hardened heroin addicts are being supplied with the drug as part of a government backed experiment to help them get clean.

The addicts take the drugs under the supervision of a dedicated team of nurses and clinicians in a special but simply furnished room.

This controversial experiment aims to help some of the most difficult addicts in the country rebuild their lives by giving them the drugs they crave, for free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7099138.stm

A good idea or pandering to the criminal element and wasting NHS funds?

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message
AirSynths
November 20, 2007, 7:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm like the Queen... I have 2 birthdays!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 42 minutes
But how does giving them the drug help them get clean????  

While I can see the benefits to society of giving it to them for free - tackling robberies for example - I'm really not too sure if this is such a good idea. I presume that this is an acknowledgement that methadone isn't working in all cases? Seems a bit of an odd way to treat it if you ask me. Obviously something has to be done, but the other question is, when they get clean does it last?

And let's face it, the NHS is over-burdened as it is!

Today I have been mostly listening to:
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 26
MJB
November 20, 2007, 8:50am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I was once a New Romantic, but never was a
Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.23
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 15 minutes
One Word.

Boll@cks. > > > > >

There are people dying from cancer because their NHS won't fund their treatment, and yet they are going to give junkies (self inflicted damage and all that...) drugs... Yup! The world HAS gone totally, totally mental....

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 26
AirSynths
November 20, 2007, 1:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Told hubby about this... he said:

"Shoot 'em or give 'em 100% pure so they OD, then they won't be a burden to anyone."

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 26
omj
November 20, 2007, 5:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Agnus Dei
The More I See You
Sing Baby Sing
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Time Online: 23 days 8 hours 59 minutes
If you get addicted to tranquilisers, anti-depressants or alcohol, the doctor does not make you come off cold turkey, whether it is your "fault" or not you got onto them - the dosage is gradually reduced and controlled, to avoid further medical problems. I don't see why illegal drugs are any different. If that's what it takes to get you CLEAN and OFF, so be it. It's just treatment.

If you don't like something, change it -
REMEMBER - YOU'RE NOT A TREE!

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 26
MJB
November 20, 2007, 5:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Cannot agree with you there omj; but won't say any more than that ...... this really could get me in my soap box rant mode; but I shall just slam the door on the way out!!!!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 26
NeilT
November 20, 2007, 8:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
This is a good idea... ANY additiction is a problem, but a soon as you mention "Drugs" it sends some into a rant. Yes we have lots of areas that do not have enough funding.

If you want to stop smoking the treatment is funded by the NHS is there a difference between this?

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 26
AirSynths
November 20, 2007, 8:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Ahhh.. but hubby would take issue with that, as our doctor won't put him on an NHS treatment to help him stop smoking. He also got a bit narked that the son of a friend of ours was put on 'the sick' and underwent NHS treatment to beat his alcoholism. That said, it did the trick and he's really turned himself around since completing the treatment.

Bascially hubby 't see why 'we' should pay to fix people's addiction - particularly as he can't get help with his own

It also doesn't help that a few years back we were the victims of drug related crime on a number of occassions, and all we ever seemed to hear at the time was 'pity the poor druggie, they can't help it' - the police even told us that if they received a complaint from the gits about my dog biting them then she would have to be put down! For doing her job and protecting her home and family! Well, what about the invasion of my home? The number of times we had to have the windows on the car replaced? etc... etc... etc...

Personally I can see both sides to the argument. If it works and the addicts become fully functioning members of society and stay off drugs for the rest of their lives, great. But I have my doubts.

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 26
corky100
November 20, 2007, 8:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
No matter how desperate I get, I never got the urge to go out and mug, maim or kill for my next fix. The victims are usually second person (passive smoking is still unproven anyway).

Now its Kids getting that 'shoot each other' treatment in the name of Drugs, and the states response? Waste money on em. Thats not the way, and the success rate (for every 15000 spent) is very low to justify it. I'm all for a good sensible solution if it brings large numbers off the street, cures them, and reduces crime. This alone aint the way.

I could go on, but my addiction is also self inflicted, Legal, and is now frowned upon more now than Heroin and other Class A's. Is that right?

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 26
MJB
November 20, 2007, 8:16pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Quoted from NeilT

If you want to stop smoking the treatment is funded by the NHS is there a difference between this?

Yes, because smoking isn't illegal....or funded (generally) by stealing/other crime  >

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread