You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?
May 21, 2018, 9:20am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering? Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?  This thread currently has 4,851 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
AirSynths
November 20, 2007, 8:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm like the Queen... I have 2 birthdays!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 42 minutes
Quoted from corky100
<snip> my addiction is also self inflicted, Legal, and is now frowned upon more now than Heroin and other Class A's. Is that right?

That's a good point too. One of the reasons I am sick to death of hearing about Amy bloody Winehouse is because I really don't think she's a particularly good role model for 'the kids'. ffs, look at the state of her! I mean, what is cool about that? Is it really right that society just 'tut tut's about what she's doing to herself and the effect it's having on her family, while rushing out to buy the latest salacious magazine with all the sordid gossip and the photos etc? (something else I can't stand!) And yet if someone lights up a fag they are treated like scum. wtf? I'd rather my hubby be addicted to fags and booze than Class A drugs!

It's probably a good job I don't have kids, because I'm sure I'd take a very dim view of them being fans of any drug using bands/singers etc. Yes, of course they'd have the ammo to come back at me for the state that Duran Duran were in throughout most of the 80s... *thinks about the Saturday Superstore appearance of John Taylor* But the difference is that I didn't know what was going on, and only actually found out about the drugs in the late 90s, and I was pretty disgusted then. It certainly wouldn't have encouraged me to go out and take drugs.

But maybe I'm odd. I confess, I smoked a joint once, but it had no effect on me, and I actually hated being at gigs where some of the audience was partaking as the smell of it made me feel really sick! I just never saw the point in it! Still don't! That's probably why I'm only addicted to Music, Cola, Crisps and Chocolate

(falls off of soap box)

Today I have been mostly listening to:
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 26
NeilT
November 20, 2007, 9:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Quoted Text
Yes, because smoking isn't illegal....or funded (generally) by stealing/other crime
Exactly , so if a addict (of any form) seeks help, they have taken a step forward, which has to be a good thing. There are as many people addicted to ciggies and booze, who have help available.

Also if a doctor does not offer help with addiction/s it is time to see another doctor.

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 11 - 26
Elfi
November 20, 2007, 11:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Time Online: 47 days 12 hours 5 minutes
Quoted from corky100
A small core of hardened heroin addicts are being supplied with the drug as part of a government backed experiment to help them get clean.

The addicts take the drugs under the supervision of a dedicated team of nurses and clinicians in a special but simply furnished room.

This controversial experiment aims to help some of the most difficult addicts in the country rebuild their lives by giving them the drugs they crave, for free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7099138.stm

A good idea or pandering to the criminal element and wasting NHS funds?

I think thats scandalous and down right outrageous..... when theres people suffering from Cancer, to mention just one illness.... and theyre having to remortgage their homes to get the drugs they need, to hopefully, prolong their lives  >

Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 26
Elfi
November 20, 2007, 11:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Time Online: 47 days 12 hours 5 minutes
Quoted from NeilT
Exactly , so if a addict (of any form) seeks help, they have taken a step forward, which has to be a good thing. There are as many people addicted to ciggies and booze, who have help available.

Also if a doctor does not offer help with addiction/s it is time to see another doctor.

Wonder how many are seeking help.... cos they get their `fix` free tho. Seems like a dream come true for addicts.... IMO  

Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 26
omj
November 21, 2007, 3:05am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Agnus Dei
The More I See You
Sing Baby Sing
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Time Online: 23 days 8 hours 59 minutes
I doubt it would be enough to give them their regular 'high' - it would just be enough to make them feel normal and address their other problems - this is the approach with other addictions. Obviously you have to stop them taking their street supply as well.

When my brother was once in hospital, there was a young guy who had damaged his liver with alcohol, who was being given a bottle of ale with his dinner each night. You may be shocked, but this was an essential part of his treatment, to come off gradually.

Heroin is evil stuff, and untimately young people have to have it drilled in what it will do if they get addicted - same with alcohol, prevention is better than cure. If you ever get treated with morphine (legal heroin) see how carefully it's handled, to prevent addiction.

If you don't like something, change it -
REMEMBER - YOU'RE NOT A TREE!

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 14 - 26
MJB
November 21, 2007, 7:47am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I was once a New Romantic, but never was a
Mod
Married &amp; Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.23
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from omj

Heroin is evil stuff, and untimately young people have to have it drilled in what it will do if they get addicted

And, of course, all the junkies will take soooooooooooooo much notice of that....

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 26
AirSynths
November 21, 2007, 11:38am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm like the Queen... I have 2 birthdays!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 42 minutes
omj, I have a rather personal reason I get mad at some treatments for alcoholics, and it's can be the radical treatment for liver damage that really pisses me off.

I was absolutely livid when George Best was given a liver transplant because he'd fooked his own up with alcohol. Only a few years before my mum had died of liver cancer. Within about 20 days of diagnosis. Admitedly it was secondary, but they never even bothered to try and find out where the primary was because her liver was too fooked to treat, so they just left her to die. How can that be right? or fair?

Unfortunately as much as we can try and drill it in to the kids heads what a bad thing drugs, and heroin in particular, are there's a certain cool factor to the being anti-establishment and law breaking. And if certain pop stars and other people in the media eye are percieved to be cool and have an addiction then that's only gong to add to the view that it's ok. What's worrying is the number of addicts who say they started and thought they could control it! How???  

Today I have been mostly listening to:
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 26
corky100
November 21, 2007, 7:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
Thats my point. They know what it does. They know what it leads too. None of these kids are clueless.

Then when the mess finally aims their way, they expect )often demand) society to deal with it, then pick up the tab.

So go ahead, grow our own drugs, give it to kids, control their self inflicted addiction,.

Then, if it ever does get them off it, present them with the Bill (Works that way for students when it comes to grants/loans, does it not?)

which they will pay with the earnings from the jobs they will no doubt get....

...Oh mess, they forgot. They will end up alone and jobless (but sober) once they are cured. Whatever will they do with themselves now? I wonder...

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 26
NeilT
November 21, 2007, 9:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Interesting that there is the word "Cancer" used a lot here, and also under funding? Just to pull some of you in to the world of reality, much of the research into cancer has to be done by begging, the same if you are blind and want a guide dog, or if you are a young child and you need a help line to call in a moment of crisis, it is all funded by beggars out on the street?

A waste of money? is the same true for fertility treatment? non life threatening, and the money could be used else where? What about a hip replacemnet, in someone in there 80's is this wise, or should the money be spent else where.

Maxine, if you do get a job inside a prison, you will be educated.

Oh, and if you should get a STD, you should die of it, cos you slept around.

There is a big problem with the word "Drugs" and this makes and drug taker a "Junkie" sorry, but if you believe that, you really should take a walk in the real life, and stop reading tabloids.

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 18 - 26
corky100
November 21, 2007, 11:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
I lived amongst them Neil. They deserve the bad press. We ain't talking painkillers or sleeping pills. We are talking problem people, who chose that life. We don't chose a faulty hip or STD, it just happens. The risk is always there.

But these people know the effects. Thats the difference. I seen it with my own eyes. I resent my tax paying for that when I can't even get my bin emptied!!

Yes something should be done to help them, but this countries overpaid thinktanks are incapable of seeing a 'sensible' how.

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  Free Heroin on the NHS. Good Idea or pandering?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread