You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

How did you learn to read? / the alphabet
May 21, 2018, 9:17am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  How did you learn to read? / the alphabet Moderators: PaulB, NeilT, MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

How did you learn to read? / the alphabet  This thread currently has 4,946 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Elfi
January 20, 2008, 12:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Time Online: 47 days 12 hours 5 minutes
I remember the Peter And Jane books... must have worked cos I got the reading bug early on....would have read the stickers on the jam jars even   And have always loved books.  

Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 14
TheAviator
January 24, 2008, 12:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from MJB
... I had a reading age of 8 when I started school!!!  

I remember at age of 8 being told my reading age was 13 which cheered me no end as that was the age of my eldest brother.

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 14
omj
February 7, 2008, 4:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Agnus Dei
The More I See You
Sing Baby Sing
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Time Online: 23 days 8 hours 59 minutes
I can't remember not being able to read - could certainly do it before I went to school. Don't know how I learnt - just always knew how.

If you don't like something, change it -
REMEMBER - YOU'RE NOT A TREE!

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 14
GenaP
February 8, 2008, 11:08pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Billy ONE OMD Mate :)
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Time Online: 1 days 21 hours 55 minutes
I was like Amber, I just "got it" one day & have never been without a book on the go.

I learnt to read by having a matchbox with words in that we had to learn each week & books about coloured families (no NOT like that - Roger Redhat & Billy Bluehat etc & I think they lived in a village with 3 corners...)

I learnt that "A" was as in "apple" rather than "angel", "B" was "button" rather than "beach".  It drives my husband daft because he learnt the other way & can't do baby letters!

My little girl is learning to write now & she'll write 5 or 6 random letters down & ask what it spells - she's not quite worked out that just cos "afdwec" adn "oswlam" are letters, they aren't words!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 14
TheAviator
February 13, 2008, 1:08pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from GenaP
My little girl is learning to write now & she'll write 5 or 6 random letters down & ask what it spells - she's not quite worked out that just cos "afdwec" adn "oswlam" are letters, they aren't words!!

They may be Gaelic    

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    Question Of The Week  ›  How did you learn to read? / the alphabet

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread