You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

OMD – The Freak Show
July 18, 2018, 10:31pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    Past OMD Tours    Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark The 2007 Tour  ›  OMD – The Freak Show Moderators: NeilT, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

OMD – The Freak Show   This thread currently has 7,219 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
NeilT
January 27, 2008, 3:20am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.97
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
In 1998 I wrote a little bit http://www.neiltaylor.co.uk/omd_the_end.htm Seems strange now that this was some 10 years back (as I write this 27.1.200
In 1998 OMD had declared that they had finished.. I was rather at a lost, but continued on with the Motion And Heart web site… All of the time, I knew that there was a following for OMD and kept going, keeping updates to the web site as much as I could etc..
Then.. just to cut out almost 10 years, of other stuff that I could go on about.. Then 2007 came, and OMD announced they would tour… Great!
So with much expected a warm up gig was announced…  Bang, as expected ( I suppose) a number of <old> fans found out, and wanted to be part.. And a number of people that I had not heard from in years got in touch… They had always been fans, they said, but funny how they had never been in touch in  years.
So  the Birmingham touch down concert took place.. What a night.
Then a full, few dates warm up concert was then on the books….. This I looked forward to very much. I had a photo pass for each of these, and it was also a chance for Sandra to see OMD live for the first time *proper*
Started of with much excitement with a drive up to Scotland, and a very good start …. BUT, at this first concert I could not help but keep looking around, to see how other fans were doing..
As the concerts went on.. and me being lucky to be in front of the stage, to see the first few rows was a chance to view <fans> and those sat on seats, I do not know what to say, but most were just tossers, more interested in getting photos and video clips on phones than doing anything else.
As concerts went on and on, it became the same every night, Those that had the money for the front seats, wankers…. No interest. I think it was for the main part a lot of the 30+ peeps, wanting to to re-live a part of the life, that they thought they were part off, but when it all happened they were still wankers..
OMD – The Freak Show … That’s how at the end it became to me, with people just sat on arse, Andy and the Band do concerts with energy and putting everything they had into it.. but maybe 2 thirds of those that got tickets, just out to watch a freak show.. Even some <in the loop> fans stood front of stage, like zombies.
This is not how I wanted to see things… A guy at the London Hammersmith concert tried to kill me, as I stood up and danced… He said “Do you not know how far I have travelled to see OMD!” if only eh!!!!
I have many memories… One is sat with Andy, after Liberator, when Andy had announced OMD would be no more… I questioned this, and Andy, sat by my side, said “Neil, I do not want to end up doing the social club circuit, only to be know for Enola Gay” he then demonstrated as a OAP what it would look like.. I will never forget that.. But look, back, now to the audience in 2007 and they freaked me out  .. Sad fuckers, for the most part…

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
corky100
January 27, 2008, 4:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
First off (lets get clean!) I am guilty of videoing most of the Liverpool gig on my Mobile (though not sat down I should add!) and wanted this for posterity (only one made it to Youtube) but I look around Youtube and see dozens of people putting dozens of songs up. Sadly it seems common at any gig nowadays, a sign of the times.... Yes it shows a popularity in the band, but also its a bit much if thats all people go to the gigs for. I also went to Aintree, and took just a couple of pics, I went to see and enjoy the show this time.....

Unfortunately theres a load of people who go to any old concert thats on, whether a sort of fan (that souvenir song was good...) or just there because they are, and many look down on the real fans as a bit 'oddball'. While they stand there 15 pints adrift from everyone else, mumbling unintelligibly along to the songs while pretending to be hardcases, when instead they look like sad, middle aged pissed up losers with no friends or pets, and take delight in dissing anyone they take an instant (an blurred) dislike to. Like the comments thrown at Pete Price when he arrived at Aintree by a gorilla with a scouse accent stood (tightly clutching two very expensive and highly watered down pints)by us made clear. Don't think too much of Mr Price myself, but I wouldn't have bothered anyone else with my near indecipherable rantings.....

Sadly, the atmosphere of the 80s gigs has clearly gone, along with society's perception of what 'normal' and 'remotely thoughtful' actually are. Thats the story of the Rat Race and the 'wanters' of our world.

As for me... Always been a fan (since 83) and had quite a collection (which as most know was decimated after the upheavals I had a few years back, and subsequent move to Liverpool. Although a subscriber to Telegraph magazine, which kept me up to date with releases until its demise (and I seem to remember an OMD newsletter?), I was also a subscriber to a (ludicrously expensive) internet connection from 1996 and found odd scraps of info here and there. I found M&H and OMD.uk about 2003/4 when I had plenty of time (and no inclination to be bothered to do anything much) on my hands. This started with passing Neil an email with a few MP3 Ringtones I had made for the Samsung Mobiles at the time. I think I've passed on a Gig or two of stuff and posted many an insult since then....

I've tried to be active, took a stance with the phone box (because I had the time, and sadly not much else to do (confidence & self esteem still at a very low level) and regretfully it remains a bit of a joke in OMD folklore... Then I offered to help out with the 2005 event, and the Solna meet (before the Liverpool gig). Made some new friends and finally met some regulars of the forums which was great. I helped many out with tech stuff and info behind the scenes, had people mailing me privately to let off steam about others (you'd be surprised who some of them are Neil...) and generally I seem to fit in without having any sort of allegiance to any particular forum or person. I'm happy with that. I can switch off and walk away. But I always try to remainn genuine (dispute that anyone? feel free..)

Oh, and You all found out I don't do dancing...

Also I found how self important some fans and 'social' members are. Even ignorant. I make my own way and find them easy to bypass, so any that read this, it must be comforting to know you don't impress, scare or even sadden me. its just a faceless void. be happy in your own worlds.....

Just one point, Andy is right to fear the ol' revival nights and 21st parties slots at the rugby clubs, but should be grateful to be known as the bloke who did 'Enola Gay' and made Atomic Kitten... me? I look up and think, what I will be remembered for.... My epitaph will be relatively cheap, and short.

(                        ). Guess I'll be remembered for the contents of those brackets, if only briefly.....

So, you are right, in most of what ou say, but I think you may have underestimated todays OMD 'society' outside (in some cases even inside) of the forums. People just ain't the same as they were 10/15/25 years ago unfortunately. Sad fact of life really...

Its a funny old game, society......

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 17
nigel2568
January 27, 2008, 10:15am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
Neil, I understand what you have written, and agree it appears to be a very sad state of affairs when the people with money just went to the front rows to take photos  and videos to say "I was there". No real feeling for the band or the music they produced. Corky, unfortunately does have a point about todays faceless society though. It is a very sad sign of the times.

I did go to the Aintree gig, I was at the back and listening to those around me. Quite a few only knew a song or two before Andy and Co arrived on stage. But after a song or 2, just about everyone around me, and everyone I could see from my vantage point were up on their feet and dancing. I was one of the first in the area, but soon everyones inhibitions and preconceptions of people had gone and all around were dancing in their own way (weird or not) These "new" OMD concert goers were in as much awe of the band as we were in the 80s.

So maybe Neil, your perspective of the concert goers depends upon your vantage point.

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 17
Elfi
January 27, 2008, 3:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Motion & Heart
I like my smilies
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Time Online: 47 days 12 hours 5 minutes
I wasnt at the gigs...so cant comment on them...but I was shocked at the time to hear what happened to you Neil.... I heard there were a few incidents like that.
When the gigs were announced, I wondered if the `fans` would have been the same these days, and what kind of reaction OMD would get....I know I wasnt alone there.
It speaks volumes tho.... that your 3 accounts of your experiences are so different.... maybe it was down to where you were in the venues. I dont know..... but Im sure there are good and bad memories for everyone who was there.
Theres a sadness about it for you Neil.... thats obvious.... and it must hurt...given everything that fans have meant to you.... and everything youve done for them over the years.... but I know you wont be tarring us all with the same brush  
Corky.....you`ll be remembered by more people than you realise chick....it wouldnt fit in those brackets... ... and your character is spot on...... btw, thanks for your help, when both me and my pc were f**ked up.   .... I still need to do some work with me.... but thats off topic and for another thread  

Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 17
NeilT
January 27, 2008, 6:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
I think that with refelection, and one thing that I have not mentioned, is that there is a stall a hard core of fans, that did want to dance, and enjoy...
And its the middle class wankers, that treat a live concert, more as theatre than a pop concert.. I have no problem with people doing photos or videos, but the tossers sat front row/s sat down 100% of the time, even when just about everyone is stood up.. Maybe I should sell popcorn next time

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 4 - 17
nigel2568
January 27, 2008, 8:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
Quoted from NeilT
I think that with refelection, and one thing that I have not mentioned, is that there is a stall a hard core of fans, that did want to dance, and enjoy...
And its the middle class wankers, that treat a live concert, more as theatre than a pop concert.. I have no problem with people doing photos or videos, but the tossers sat front row/s sat down 100% of the time, even when just about everyone is stood up.. Maybe I should sell popcorn next time

I have to admit it. But that would totally piss me off too. If you want to just sit there, go and watch "Madame Butterfly" not a bloody pop concert.

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 17
NeilT
January 27, 2008, 8:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man  

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 17
corky100
January 27, 2008, 10:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Maybe we all are...

I had this 'middle class and OMD' conversation with someone from the offy forum (sort of used to be anyway) just a couple of weeks ago. Seems OMD could be construed as a Middle class band. And in a way, I think they do have a point.

Theres certainly some who make a point of illustrating their position in society (even though their position in mental ability is sadly very shallow) and as for the fans I think Neil is trying to point out, they probably give this sort of reaction whether at OMD, Kylie, CATS or Philharmonic shows.

Some are just downright pissheads who couldn't split a lip, let alone an atom, so devoid of any actual sense or intelligence they seem to be.... >

Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 17
Debbie
January 27, 2008, 10:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Time Online: 9 days 9 hours 12 minutes
This is a sad story, unfortunately, too true. A lot of people go see bands just to see a band, not because they are particularly crazy about them. And it stinks because the real fans should be the ones with the good seats, not stuck way in back.
I've had something like that too. I am a huge REM fan, and I went to see them in the early 90's, when they started to get really popular. Massive arena in New York, and I was way, way in the back. >  Could hardly hear them, let alone see them, got yelled at by security for standing on my seat....excuse me, why are you screaming in my face when I'm trying to watch this awesome band??? I liked them since they came out, and all these people like them now because they're "in"?? Give me a break. Luckily, a few years ago, they gave their fan club a reserved section, and I was right up there!  

But too many folks go to a concert because its something to do, and it makes it hard on the real fans. When I go see someone live, I am on cloud nine and totally get into the music, and it gets in me... I am not there to hang out, chit chat, socialize, get wasted, I am there because I love the band.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 17
corky100
January 27, 2008, 11:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Very similar when the Manic Street Preachers suddenly became darlings of the Britpop scene back in 96. I have been a fan since the first single back in 1990.

Sat at the back of the Nynex Arena (one of their biggest and best gigs) was no fun, but you still felt the full atmosphere of what was an incredible gig. 2 years earlier many of these slagged the band off before asking me to get tickets for this gig. I have a LOT of very rare manics early stuff, so thank ou to all you bandwaggoners for increasing the value of my record collection twenty fold!!

2 years earlier, I saw them in the tiny manchester academy, when Ritchie (who disappeared later that year never to be seen again) was still with them. Something 90% of manics fans will never see. I still cherish that thought.

Its not all bad...

Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread