You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

OMD The Freak Show
August 19, 2018, 8:47pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    Past OMD Tours    Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark The 2007 Tour  ›  OMD The Freak Show Moderators: NeilT, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

OMD The Freak Show   This thread currently has 7,252 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
DreamRedux
January 28, 2008, 3:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 4 minutes
I seem to remember having sort of a "moan" about something similar somewhere else . . .  

I don't go out to see many live acts, so when I do, it's a big deal (to me).  Rude audiences must be ubiquitous nowadays, so I always try to get way up front and be excited, engaged, interested - dancing, singing, whatever seems appropriate at the time, so the artist will know SOMEONE is listening!  A concert is an interactive event (within reason) - it's not a ballet!

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 17
Sandra
January 28, 2008, 9:03am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
As a new fan, I was not there at the beginning so I can't comment on how it was in the 80's.

What I can say is that those of  us that wanted to enjoy the concerts and dance this time around did so and had a fantastic time. OK we had to dodge a few over zealous security staff and notably the strangling nutter, who did spoil that particular concert, but that's life, eh??  

What Neil has not mentioned is that he primarily took part in the tour to take photograhs of the band and so was in his way also part of the "freak show", if you like. He seemed less interested in joining in and more interested in what he has written above, and photograhing the photgraphers... By Sheffield he spent most of the concert looking around to see what the audience were doing and hardly joined in even when we were joined by a good friend and long-time fan, who was having "crowd trouble" behind us. It put me off enjoying the show  

It would have been lovely if all the true fans had been together and left the saddos at the back to complain together that they should have a good seat at the front so they could pretend they were at the opera. I really feel that if they had got rid of the seats, especially at the front by the stage, so that all the fans could have got together instead of being scattered here there and everywhere, the atmosphere would have been totally different. There were loads of gunuine fans there jumping up and down and yelling and screaming and singing along, but the whole experience was coloured by having to sit next to nobs on many occasions...

In just about every concert I have been to, you get the ones that want to watch and not join in. At an all standing venue, as the concerts in Germany were, there is a natural segregation of the audience into their "comfort zone". As soon as I heard the venues in the UK were to be all seated, I was not happy for this reason. Even more so when it became clear that there was no provision for the long-time fans to all sit together.  

So sorry Neil, but on this occasion you are indeed:

Quoted Text
maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man

Yes it could have been better organised, but the boys did great and as a new fan to get to see them live just blew me away and no-one is going to sour that experience for me. I had a great time and would do it all again next week if I could!  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 11 - 17
sue
April 7, 2008, 6:33am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 21 hours 4 minutes
How can you not dance at an omd gig?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 17
MJB
May 19, 2008, 8:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.18
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Quoted from NeilT
maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man  

If that's the case, I'm becoming a grumpy old woman!!!  

I bloody hope they don't expect me to sit on my arse at Nottingham..... that would be an impossible ask of me at an gig  

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 17
Lego man
May 24, 2008, 11:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I one was a triangle
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 3 days 17 hours 26 minutes
I was in row B at liverpool, and the couple in front, aged about 30, sat on their arses all the way through - never even twitched. They should sell the front tickets to people who have got the records or people who know the words to the songs!
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 14 - 17
Debbie
May 24, 2008, 11:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Time Online: 9 days 9 hours 12 minutes
Amen to that brother!!! Why do people even waste their time and money on a band they're not too keen on?? It's beyond me.....Save the front rows for the real fans!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 17
sue
October 2, 2008, 8:54am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 21 hours 4 minutes
well everytime I've gone I've jumped about like a nutter!!!
last night, felt like I was the first to clap after Dazzle ships (yes that was me)
the first to stand up, ON MY OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and refuse to sit down, where ever I have seen Omd will always give them my fulll support, PaulH got lots of screams n claps off me durin the onetwo phase with Erasure. Appreciate the jumpin about Andy does, its just so fantastic!
Yes its reliving my childhood, so fcuk, if every now and again I see band, Erasure, Yaz, The police, Omd and relive my childhood, will fcukin go ahead and do it! cos one day they will be too old to make the effort themselves.
I take no notice of others around me, because, I dont care!!!! dont care about the fans (yes thats true) I go for the music,
not to look about see who is takin pictures, videoing, good luck to them, means nowt to me!!!
So Neil, if you feel its time to pack it in, fair enough! You have done this site for maybe too many years, yes I'll be sad not to come here.
You're a great guy, but life does indeed move on..
Shall just continue to nosey the news page on the 'official' for any future gigs if any, and will be there!
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 17
Sandra
October 2, 2008, 9:49am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
Sue we tried to ignore those around us London and the result was that Neil got strangled... and I had to prise the guy's fingers off Neil's throat. He was lucky that our mate did not lamp him....  >

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread