You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

ADHD
April 26, 2018, 9:31am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: Got A Problem? ::::    :::: Agony Aunts & Uncles ::::  ›  ADHD Moderators: MaXiNe, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

ADHD  This thread currently has 9,460 views. Print Print Thread
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
MJB
March 6, 2008, 2:00pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I was once a New Romantic, but never was a
Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.25
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 15 minutes
Brilliant News Nigel!  

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 31
amber
March 6, 2008, 6:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Hold the sun!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Time Online: 3 days 15 hours 1 minutes
Great news, Nigel! Congrats to you and your little angel!

Good at understanding- it's a really important thing. It means, he'll be able to reach high success at all subjects.

How many times have feelings vanished in your head?
How many times must they be lost before they're said?
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 31
nigel2568
March 6, 2008, 6:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
Thank you.

His teacher said he was scientifically minded. He wants to know about things, how they work and what they do. The thing is, he remembers all of it too, which is brilliant. One of his teachers said she is actually learning stuff from him too.

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 31
Debbie
March 6, 2008, 6:51pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Time Online: 9 days 9 hours 12 minutes
Good, maybe he can come fix this darn computer once and for all!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 23 - 31
nigel2568
March 6, 2008, 6:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Lol, he probably could too. He's seen me delving inside my pc enough times.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 24 - 31
DreamRedux
March 6, 2008, 8:22pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 4 minutes
Great!  

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 31
NeilT
March 6, 2008, 8:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 3.02
Time Online: 153 days 11 hours 59 minutes
Thats good news Nigel...

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 26 - 31
Sandra
March 6, 2008, 10:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
Nigel, only just seen this thread. Let me reassure you that you are not alone! If you could talk to my mum and she told you what my little'un used to be like... well as I said you are not alone. We never got a label to go with it, but until she was 5 and a a half I couldn't leave her anywhere happily, by which I mean major, stop-breathing heeby-geebies that she could keep up for hours!! The only word to describe her was inconsolable if I had to be away for any reason...   Her attention span then was only good if it was what she wanted to do. If I wanted/needed to do anything was was not focussed on her she was incredibly disruptive!

Thanks to Hannah's dad, I had to spend a lot of time in family court as he decided it was all my fault she was like that and thought the best idea was to take her away from me altogether...  > Still makes my blood boil just to think of it.)
Thanks to him and the courts, I had to drag my screaming child up the road to nursery school every day for over a year, knowing that she was just not ready for all that, but also under the threat that if I didn't force her to go she would be taken away from me for good...   I had to spend the most important years of her life in and out of court and I can't tell you how stresful that was and what was going on when she was sent to her Dad's.  

Main thing is, we got through it and we are very close still, but she is building more relationships now with others and basically blooming. Her bahviour is vastly improved. Her father has improved beyond all recognition. Neil has been a fantastic step-Dad to her and she gets on brilliantly with her new bothers and sister. They fight like all kids do but there is a real bond there which is lovely to see. She's very happy at school now she's 7 and academically doing really well too.  

(BTW I was at parents' evening tonight. Couldn't help smiling when she wrote "If am am angry it helps to count to 10 and breathe out"!   )

Nigel, we all worry about our kids, but for what it's worth in my view it is a problem with society that we expect such young kids to sit stil and learn. My nephew went to a Steiner school at Oliver's age where they only did half days, went out into the woods for an afternoon, learned cooking and learned to cut with sharp knives... he was very happy there! You don't have that option, but I would strongly advise get out and about as much as you can.

Mine loved being outside - used to even run with her round the block when she was being disruptive and couldn't settle at night. We were out most of the time at that age - one reason she hated nursery so much!   I took her places like the science museum and art galleries where she could stretch her mind, we did singing gardening, painting, cooking, "washing up", is water play, went swimming a lot. All sorts.

Oh boy, I know exactly what you mean about that 1:1 time!! It may just mean he is very bright... My little un defeated a childminder with 10 years experience when she was only 8 months old - reduced the poor lady to tears and I had to quit my job... Glad I did though. You should see her now - an absolute star and doing really well. All the hard work paid off in the end, including a much - needed parenting course! I got the court make her Dad go on one too...  

This is getting long, but I was given a lot of bad advice by various professionals when things were difficult. I was labelled as having "depression", whereas I defy anyone to go through all of the above PLUS the loss of my home, PLUS the death of my father and supporting my griving Mum all in one go - I defy anyone to go through that and not be affected... it wouldn't be human!  

What I am getting at is sod the labels. Good that the medication is helping. Homoeopathy helped mine, glad we never got in the situation of getting labelled or medicated... He's your son in the end and you can listen to the advise but in the end you must do what you feel is right. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and you are so right to see the boy and not the "condition".

In our story the hard part for me was accepting that I could not keep letting a small child control my life... she got angry if I so much as walked across the room. Once I took back control, and set some boundaries, life got better for us all. My fear for you and Oliver is that all the hard work is expected to be done by the medicine wheras there is so much you can do as a parent, most of which is fun!

On my course, I learned to praise her more (I was constantly cristised myself so found this hard), set clear aims about what I wanted her to do better at, set up a clear reward scheme, and (most importantly) established the "two minutes of calm" rule. My hysterical child could not reason, so I learned to wait until she was calm and talk with her about what was wrong for her and also what I expected from her before she got rewards. The latter were mostly free things like play time with me, a trip to the park, painting, cooking and an elaborate puppet game through which she could express her feelings.

Nigel what works for your son and you may well be different, but whatever you do don't give up on him. He's got a lot of growing up to do and I'm sure he will do just fine!  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 27 - 31
nigel2568
March 7, 2008, 9:21am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Sandra, that is such an awful story, I am so pleased, for all of you that things have turned around and life is great again.

I have very rarely had any problems with Oliver at home. Any tantrums he has ever had have lasted no more than 2 minutes, have not had any problems getting him to nursery or to school (except the first week when he cried his eyes out when I left him, but that was only a couple of minutes too. My biggest issue with Oliver, was his constant desire to eat. I had to put a lock on the kitchen door because he used to raid the fridge and the food cupboards.

Olivers biggest issues were at school. Although he was"picking everything up" his concentration was non-existent. He is one of the brightest in his class, but he is disruptive and impulsive. Once he has learnt his "bit" he is bored and disrupts the learning of the other children.

We are blessed here on the Wirral, that there is such a lot that we can do at minimal cost. We have several museums, a couple of art galleries, numerous parks and woodland, a couple of beaches,an urban farm, local docks with shipping movement almost daily and public transport on the doorstep. So I have never had a problem keeping him occupied.
If the weather is bad, we paint or do paper-craft, read books or he will get out his picture encyclopaedia and ask me questions about what and why. I also get down on the floor to play cars or trains with him. But he also realises that I need my time too. He is not always happy, but he does get on with it.

I wanted to go the homeopathy way with Oliver, even contacted somewhere to try and get help. But it was some distance away and the cost was beyond my meagre budget. He has a good diet (not the best he could get) but still very good. With a sweets/chocolate once a week, and fruit on a daily basis. I have got him eating fresh vegetables too (but only in a home-made vegetable soup). So I am doing everything that I can. Even the "professionals" that have spoken to me have said that I am doing everything I can and that there is little if anything more that I could do.

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 28 - 31
Lego man
March 7, 2008, 10:04am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I one was a triangle
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 3 days 17 hours 26 minutes
Nice one. Ta for the update.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 29 - 31