You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

An activity:how easily you can lose your ID online
November 16, 2018, 3:43am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    The Techie Forum  ›  An activity:how easily you can lose your ID online Moderators: NeilT, corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

An activity:how easily you can lose your ID online  This thread currently has 6,334 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
corky100
May 16, 2008, 8:54pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
I teach sessions on PC safety, and personal safety online.

Let me tell you a secret....

I have made, as a sample for the learners, a bogus email, and a bogus website for a bank. Purposely it doesn't look real, nor even atempt to be, but I can easily make it so. Anyway, i send the learners an email, and tell them to treat it as if it were from their bank, and it warns the will have their account closed if they don't click this link, and log in.
So they do, and enter any old name, and a message as a password. all looks nice.

Then I go away for two minutes, and then return and tell them the name they used, and the secret message they typed.

Do you think it scared them? You bet it did....

And they always, ALWAYS, take on board what I tell them from then about security, and they cannot beleive afterwards how silly  they feel, because they actually see how easy it is to be safe online.

Moral? use common sense, don't download from dodgy sites. Don't click any old link just because it says so. Always use up to date antivirus and firewalls.

make sure you take time out to make your PC safe, and be safe online!

If anyone would like to see this activity, and see how easily I can get information from you (and hundreds fall for it every day) let me know, and I'll send you that 'dodgy' email, and instructions, for before, and how to spot it afterwards. Its a pleasure.

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message
Debbie
May 16, 2008, 10:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Time Online: 9 days 9 hours 12 minutes
I'll try it Corky, I'm good at being gullible anyway......
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 27
DreamRedux
May 16, 2008, 10:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 4 minutes
*Lorraine raises hand.*  I need all the help I can get.

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 27
corky100
May 16, 2008, 10:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
send me email via PM and I'll send a 'dodgy' email to you. Don't worry,its 100% safe.

but remember:

1 - don't use real passwords etc with this
2 - remember what you do enter. use a name and a message as a password.

Afterwards I'll return your results by email, and pass on a few tips and tricks to help you spot real phishing emails. Thats the name given to these tyoes of con tricks. You'd be surprised how easy it is to spot them a mile away.....

I hope you like this!

Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 27
amber
May 17, 2008, 6:22am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Hold the sun!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Time Online: 3 days 15 hours 1 minutes
Which is the best antivirus program in your opinion, Corky? I had Kaspersky before this accident. I thought, it worked properly (at least, we both deleted Troyan successfuly. BTW, got it during watching OMD reunion 2005 on the unknown site. Moral- use Neil's site only, when you want to watch/listen to OMD goods.) Now i have NOD32. Maybe, there's something better?

How many times have feelings vanished in your head?
How many times must they be lost before they're said?
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 8:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Amber no AV is 100% accurate, but also if you don't update it regularly its almost as good as having no Antivirus at all. Viewing from a website is reasonably safe, especially if its a fairly anonymous website such s one you would view OMD videos.

The problem arises mostly on Chinese/russian/east european websites, mainly because of the large criminal element based in these areas, and the availability of skills to carry them out. They are often hosted as sites you can download MP3s and 'cracked' files to play full games. Not only are the files you get usually crap, but they (and in many cases the websites themselves are trojans to install viruses as you load them before you even realise) are just carriers of truly infected garbage.

I can recommend AVG, one because its free, and two because it updates daily. On the downside it can slow down the startup process on the PC so it does have a trade-off here.

NOD32 is by all accounts one of the better AV around (but make sure you allow it to update!!)

One thing it doesn't do is stop spyware. I would recommend you get one of these too. Maybe spybot (one of the best, and again freeware) or Adaware, again free.

Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 8:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Debbie, email sent.....

Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 27
NeilT
May 17, 2008, 8:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.91
Time Online: 153 days 12 hours 18 minutes
Phishing as its know, does get people that are non web savy. I had a call from a good friend just a couple of weeks back his step daughter had fallen for a fake e-mail and got her PayPal account cleared out.

Also Maxine here, was concerned that "Ebay" had been intouch with here about fraud.. she does not have a e-bay account and it did take a while to convince here that it was phishing.

The regular ones doing the rounds are PayPal, Banks.. and in the last few weeks I am getting plnetnty from Google asking for me to confirm my details...

If you have the latest version of MSIE (NOT BETA) it does have anti phishing built in, and you do get a warning if you are about to enter a dodgy site.

Virus/Spyware and Malware are not to do with phishing...

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 7 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 9:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Thats true neil, I just teach the whole spectrum. We use IE7 at work, and while the antiphishing is good, it doesn't catch them all, especially in emails.

Google is a new one, yes I heard that too. Especially now they are getting involved in the social site scene. Hence Facebook have suspended there activity with them. Its also very prevalent in Facebook and Myspace.....

Its always a formula, and when you know the signs its so easy to spot them anyway. As youpoint out, usually intelligent people can fall for them too, they can be so convincing.

If you get dodgy ones from ebay, you can forward the email to them at spoof@ebay.com and they will email you back within an hour to confirm it, if anyone needs convincing....

with email, you are usually on your own. a few tips are...

Never click on a link from an email. full stop. Always go the the website in question via your browser typing the website address in yourself.

If logging into Ebay, Paypal, Bank or other onine service, they will usually be secure. Look for the pacdlock icon, either in the address bar of your browser (in IE7 the address bar should also turn green( or in the grey area at the bottom of your browser.

If its too good to be true. Quite simply, it is.

If its from ebay, Paypal or online service THEY WILL KNOW YOUR NAME! dear valued customer is not a genuine email!

Before you check if you won that lottery, think.

How do they know you? Why don't they know your name? Are they really so kind that they paid so many entries for for, and so trusting that they want to pay all the winnings to you?

Don't replay to ANY EMAIL FROM NIGERIA!. full stop. Unless its a relative you know and they don't want you to launder money for them

Use common sense!! think first. NEVER reply to any email you suspect, no matter how much you want to slate the toerag who sent it. All you will do is confirm your email is used, and it will then become marketable. Watch the spam flood in....

and if you want proof abou t those bank or ebay/paypal email, just hover the mouse over the link (but dont click). You will either see a pop up showing the REAL link (which will sound VERY dubious) or it will show it in the grey area at the bottom of your browser. Still need convincing?

Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 27
sue
May 17, 2008, 9:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 21 hours 4 minutes
how do I stop the spam mails?

seem to get more n more,
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 9:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
What email website/program do you use?

tip:

don't post your email address on a website or forum; use PM. if you MUST post it type it as my-email at hotmail dot com, so the crawlers and bots don't get them

Be careful what offers on websites you sign up to. its usually just a marketing ploy to collect email addresses to send marketing spam to.

Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 27
sue
May 17, 2008, 9:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
yahoo,
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 9:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
oh dear.....

read these....

http://jondreyer.org/yahoospam.html

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/spam_howtoprevent.php
http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/spam.php

- set your browser to delete cookies
- um, don't use Yahoo (or Hotmail...)

Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 27
Debbie
May 17, 2008, 9:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Corky, am I supposed to type my real e-mail address in there? I know the password is supposed to be fake, but since you already have my e-mail, it would be no sense to use a fake one, no?? Did you mention that somewhere and I not read it correctly????
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 27
corky100
May 17, 2008, 10:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Debbie the email doesn't matter to be honest, as I have it anyway.... But you can put a fake one in if you like...

Private Message Private message Reply: 14 - 27
NeilT
May 18, 2008, 12:31am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Quoted Text
how do I stop the spam mails?

Do not use a free e-mail provider is a start...

Hotmail, Yahoo and others will get loads of spam.. A auto prog will find you starting with a@hotmail.com to b@hotmail.com and goin on and on..

Also never publish you e-mail deatails in public like here on a forum...

I do offer FREE e-mail accounts that should get little if any spam  

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 15 - 27
MJB
May 18, 2008, 10:47am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.13
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Quoted from NeilT
Phishing as its know, does get people that are non web savy. I had a call from a good friend just a couple of weeks back his step daughter had fallen for a fake e-mail and got her PayPal account cleared out.

Also Maxine here, was concerned that "Ebay" had been intouch with here about fraud.. she does not have a e-bay account and it did take a while to convince here that it was phishing.

The regular ones doing the rounds are PayPal, Banks.. and in the last few weeks I am getting plnetnty from Google asking for me to confirm my details...

If you have the latest version of MSIE (NOT BETA) it does have anti phishing built in, and you do get a warning if you are about to enter a dodgy site.

Virus/Spyware and Malware are not to do with phishing...

I'll add my tuppence to this, I was pretty freaked out when I received these emails; and until Neil told me how to recognise it was fake, it really freaked me out. I have now blocked the senders of those emails, and, thankfully haven't received any further. But it was really reassuring to have Neil to help on that one (another big to Neil) - they did, to the untrained eye, seem very convincing!

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 27
amber
May 18, 2008, 12:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Hold the sun!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Time Online: 3 days 15 hours 1 minutes
Done! Nobody sees my email address more! (But, to be honest, i've got spam from the slideshow and 123greetings only.)

To scary everyone more and more. To avoid of juridical probs, i won't mention real names, but i'll tell you, how did i lose money via net recently.
As i hadn't got any bank card, asked my colleague to book plane tics for me. She tried. The result- there was no money in her account more, she  got a crazy print, that said, the money and tics weren't confirmed, and both- avio company and bank said, that weren't their fault and they couldn't do anything. As the amount of money was small, we decided didn't start the paper-war, but beter take care of our nerves. I just want to notice you- be careful!

How many times have feelings vanished in your head?
How many times must they be lost before they're said?
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 27
corky100
May 18, 2008, 4:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Its a very common occurence. Here your credit card company can be responsible for fraudulent payments in many cases, so first rule is to warn the bank/card company first. Then the police. Then the company they are imitating.

Also very important is to keep a record of everything, especially when using online shopping. You may need them as evidence when putting in a claim.

If your complaint is valid, then the bank and company do share some responsibility. The bank can only be accountable once informed and for what happens after that time, but the company has a responsibility to chase whoever is posting the links, if it is pretending to be from them. If they are aware of these and haven't acted then they can be held accountable.

Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 27
corky100
May 19, 2008, 1:45am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Debbie, I emailed you your result from the activity. What do you think?

Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 27
sue
May 19, 2008, 6:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
corky been lookin for
Edit your marketing preferences

logged into mail
then my yahoo thing,
was like a profile page

then loked at this logged in news page type thing,

cant see it.

Since havin a pc only used about 3 yahoo addys,
so never known about any other emall pages  
not very tech minded..
And used about 2 hotmail ones,
which is only really for msn chattin

think my i tunes is set to a yahoo page,
my space,
suppose a new mail addy they could be changed   no idea really...

Neil you say you have free Email things..
Wonder if to change,
gosh its like changin my coffee  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 27
nigel2568
May 19, 2008, 7:33am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Time Online: 32 days 1 hours 17 minutes
I have exactly the same problrem Sue, I think Yahoo! have changed the pages to this more difficult to do now. I have one of Neils Email accounts, and no dodgy mails so far (after 3 months.)  

Nigel ?  Oh yeah, he's up there !
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 27
MJB
May 19, 2008, 7:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married & Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.13
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Corky, how did you "learn" all this - and how to "empty" on-line accounts? It makes me wonder who has the "knowledge" to teach this stuff to pass it on.... I'm not sure I'm making sense with that, do you know what I'm getting at????

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 27
NeilT
May 19, 2008, 9:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Maxine, its dead easy to set up a phishing web site, anyone that can create a web page can do phishing... thats the easy bit... The hard bit is to educate people, like Corky is doing not to fall into the traps...

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 23 - 27
corky100
May 19, 2008, 11:54pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Maxine its just simple common sense. I know your concerns and I guarantee no matter how desperate I might get I'll never resort to anything like that. I know because the Internet is a massively wealthy source of information. I'm also massively proud of my own reputation and integrity.

I can find out how to make a bomb, kill a man with bare hands, make poisons and etc. All the evils of the world are there on the net for anyone to research.... But I look on the good side of things and get as much satisfaction out of educating, as some get from stealing. All I intend to do here is show you how easy it can be to do this, and pass on how just as easy it can be to prevent it happening to you. Anyone who tries this exercise is explicitly asked to enter a made up name, email and password.

All I do then is show them what I get. I would rather someone kept their ID here than try to help in a future post to advise what to do now their bank is empty. Scary I know, but I teach this using the exact same example to people between 20 and 80. Not one has ever said how scared they were about being online, once shown this and then shown exactly how to prevent it happening to them in the first place. Criminals are are hugely clever bunch, if they weren't they wouldn't get away with these things.

I'll post a document I use shortly that will explain how to spot these and other dodgy email rubbish. You'd be surprised just how easy it is once you know the signs. But the people I teach are new to the net and, quite simply put, are prime targets for these thieving gits. But they are by no means the only candidates...

About Yahoo: seems they are going the same way as MSN and changing their services. Neil made a very good suggestion there and I can only agree that if you can take up the offer of his Email service you'll be much safer. MSN, Hotmail etc are just goldmine for scammers, Spammers and other lowlife, hence I only have one for Microsoft data and emails, and nothing else. If you really must use a public email then I would recommend Email, but talk to Neil about his services first!

Private Message Private message Reply: 24 - 27
sue
May 21, 2008, 8:22pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
I Like Pink
Quoted from nigel2568
I have exactly the same problrem Sue, I think Yahoo! have changed the pages to this more difficult to do now. I have one of Neils Email accounts, and no dodgy mails so far (after 3 months.)  

good glad it was'nt just me, bein dumb!!!

was it a clart on goin round changin your email addy to the new one,
like paypal etc

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 27
Debbie
May 22, 2008, 1:09am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

love, hope and strength
The More I See You
Yes, Corky, you did have my vital info there....so, how did you get it?? And more importantly, how can we recognise it and not fall for it????
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 26 - 27
corky100
May 22, 2008, 2:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
OK, this is fairly common knowledge so should be safe......

I designed an email, putting pressure on you (pattern number 1 for dodgy mails) and pushed you into clicking the link through panic, threatening to close your account. Human nature is to panic and not think as clearly, which is a confidence trick older than the hills. The Email is usually designed to look as good as an official one, using the original logos and even some real links at the bottom.

The vital link is the one you are told to click.

But, before you do, stop for a minute. Hover your mouse over that link (but don't click). You may get a white box appear just below it, or the link will be shown at the bottom left of your browser in the grey area, and this will display the REAL link. Its easy to fake a link, disguising it as something else. You can even do it here! Thats the second clue.

The third is then the actual 'Phishing' site itself. It will be designed to look official again, with the correct logos, and even a few real links at the bottom. But you'll always be forwarded straight to the page to login, with the username and password, and is usually quite convincing.

But before you go ahead and start entering your details, stop and look.......

Can you see the Padlock, at the end of your address bar? (where you type in your web addresses), or sometimes in the bottom right of your browser (again in the grey area)? No, you can't. That means its not a secure site (theres no need for a scammer to create one...). If you do see the padlock, click on it. You should see the certificate created by that sites owner, and it should be the bank, Ebay, Paypal etc that you are expecting. If not, then again its a fake site.

Don't you think a bank, Ebay and Paypal would know your name? yes, they would. Secondly, they wont tell you to log in from an email. Even if they do, ALWAYS log in by going to the website itself.

I made this 'website' and Email in less than an hour. I am instantly emailed to results. Its that easy to do. The fake websites are usually there less than 48 hours, once they have harvested enough details, and they can be in your bank, shifting money to another account and withdrawing it in hours.

I'm honest. Thieves scammers and webscum couldn't care less. They don't have a conscience and will take what they can. Remember these guidelines above...

Above all, NEVER CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL! And if it sounds too good to be true (you won the lottery, send us bank details and we'll put it in your bank account!) then purleease. It is. Don't be fooled!!

Stay safe online

Private Message Private message Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Lounge ::::    The Techie Forum  ›  An activity:how easily you can lose your ID online

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread