You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Barakan Beat Internet Radio Show
December 15, 2018, 10:30pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Fun Section ::::    Your Links  ›  Barakan Beat Internet Radio Show Moderators: corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Barakan Beat Internet Radio Show  This thread currently has 1,918 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
DreamRedux
May 19, 2008, 3:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 13 minutes
The name Peter Barakan may not pique your interest until the name Yellow Magic Orchestra is mentioned. As described in this brief biography (which includes a nice photograph), Peter coordinated YMO’s activities, all the while keeping his finger on the pulse of the Japanese (and world) music scene. He also wrote lyrics to some of YMO’s songs, including Pure Jam, Stairs and Cue.

Peter (British-born) is now well-known in Japan as sort of a musical “guru,” having written several books in Japanese on the subject. He also co-hosts the Japanese version of 60 Minutes and hosts his own show called Weekend Japanology.

However, it’s his internet radio show that I’m plugging today. (Peter states in this interview that he prefers radio to television.)

Peter's brother Mick (Shane Fontayne) describes Peter and his radio show this way in his Newsletter of November 22, 2006:

“One of the greatest music lovers and a true aficionado of all musical genres, he, as one Japanese fan once told me, is “what is hip!”

If any of you are aware of John Peel or Charlie Gillett, two very influential English disc jockeys from the Sixties and Seventies, you will have an idea of the kind of show that Peter puts together. It is an oasis in the desert of modern radio. Listen, and you will be simultaneously thrilled, entertained and educated. Music that you would here nowhere else – beautiful, inspiring pieces, woven together into a coherent whole with great skill, and presented with a simplistic honesty. I should write press releases! I have not been so moved or excited listening to radio in a long time.

Peter’s show, Barakan Beat, airs for one hour in the U.S. at 8p.m Pacific, 10p.m. Central, 11p.m. Eastern each Saturday night at the following web address - http://www.live365.com/stations/otonamazu

Playlists of previous shows can be found at http://www.otonamazu.com/ and then click on the fish-eye photo of Peter.”

NOTE: To listen live, you will need Player365.

Click here to go directly to archives of previous shows. Enjoy these with Windows Media Player or RealPlayer.

Click here to see the most recent playlist, and here for an archive of all playlists.

Having dedicated several hours of my weekend to listen to some previous shows, I heartily agree with Shane.  He didn't play any OMD in the shows I listened to, but that's not to say he couldn't be persuaded to do so.    

So tune in and feel the beat.  

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message
DreamRedux
July 21, 2008, 8:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 13 minutes

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Revision History (1 edits)
DreamRedux  -  July 21, 2008, 9:13pm
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Fun Section ::::    Your Links  ›  Barakan Beat Internet Radio Show

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread