You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

Shane Fontayne
November 16, 2018, 11:22am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Fun Section ::::    Your Links  ›  Shane Fontayne Moderators: corky100
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Shane Fontayne  This thread currently has 18,632 views. Print Print Thread
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » All Recommend Thread
DreamRedux
June 23, 2008, 2:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

My brain is a broken juke box!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 9 days 5 hours 4 minutes
MARC COHN – Join the Parade summer tour (2008).  Marc Cohn, Shane Fontayne, Joe Bonadio (drums), Jon Ossman (bass).  Josh Dodes (the PaulB lookey-likey) and Amy Correia (backing vocals/opening act) did not join this leg of the tour.  

Summer festivities kicked off at Appel Farm in New Jersey on June 7, 2008.  Temperatures were recorded at over 100°.  You will see that three fans were pointed at the “main performer,” and none (that I could see) on the supporting band!  Life is so unfair . . .

Still shots from this concert:

CLICK HERE

- and -

CLICK HERE

Video:

Rest for the Weary

Listening to Levon

Walking in Memphis

Video of the Videographer!

On June 12, 2008, Marc performed a special webcast concert at DeepRockdrive, sort of a Kulak’s Woodshed on steroids.  These are free concerts for anyone who would like to view a concert (registration required).  A viewer has the option of several camera angles at which to view the show.  Also, Marc had a set list of songs he was prepared to play.  From this list, the viewing audience voted on what he should perform next.  The photos show the wall of video screens which displayed “shout outs” to Marc and the band.  Viewers could choose to display either personal messages, or choose from a list of icons which included clapping hands, a lighter, lips, a heart or a rose.  Reports (I was unable to attend) say there were “attendees” from around the globe, such as Canada, the Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, France and 34 different states in the U.S.

Highlights will/are available via iTunes Store.

Marc Cohn’s DeepRockDrive Performance Photos (6/12/08).  There is also a picture of the set list.  Very cool.

Marc Cohn says thanks for joining the fun at DeepRockDrive!

Review of Marc Cohn concert on June 15, 2008 at the Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara

Setlist:

Live Out the String
Girl of Mysterious Sorrow
The Calling
Rest for the Weary
29 Ways
Listening to Levon
Old Soldier*
Walking in Memphis
Miles Away

Encore 1:
Silver Thunderbird
Dance Back from the Grave*
Let Me Be Your Witness

Encore 2
True Companion*
My Sanctuary*
One Safe Place*

* REQUESTS which Marc accommodated.

Having no show the previous day, and none the next, Marc and the band put the pedal to the metal and never looked back!  Marc seems to have gotten a charge out of the DeepRockDrive “request” format because it seems like he had no set list.  Several times he asked Shane what to play next.  Very exciting for the band and the audience!  

Marc took a minute to say how honored he is to have been playing with Shane for nearly ten years and cited Shane’s experience with Lone Justice, Sting and Bruce.

“Bruce who?”  Shane queried into the microphone.

“Bruce Henschel!” retorted Marc teasingly.

One of my favorite moments was when Marc and Shane played their acoustic guitars together on The Calling.  Their intensity increased to a crescendo – this was met with deafening applause!  Shane was really on fire that night, as were Joe and Jon.  They were in great spirits!  Shane was quite the musical multitasker, taking on the responsibilities for guitar, harmonica and backing vocals – all of which he discharged with skill, grace and gusto (not to mention coordination).  And all while spinning a stack of plates on his head.  OK I’m kidding about that last part, but you get the gist.

Marc (married to newscaster Elizabeth Vargas) paid a touching tribute to Tim Russert (who recently died of a heart attack), who he admired as a television journalist and found him equally intelligent and amiable in person.

When they came back out for the first encore, Marc was peppered with shout-out requests.  He actually stood there for a few moments and waved his arms in invitation for more!  

Four of the six encore songs were requests, including mine for My Sanctuary, which I didn’t manage to blurt out until the second encore, right before he played True Companion.  

Once he finished, Marc said, “I heard a request from the front row for one of the songs on the new album.  We haven’t played this one in awhile, except in rehearsals!  We’re going to try it now.  At least someone in the front row will be really happy.”  It was a truly moving performance that nearly brought tears to my eyes.  At the end as he bowed, I mouthed a “Thank you” to him.  Looking straight at me he said, “Thank you.”  What a kind and gracious performer he is.  I will always treasure that moment.]

The seats are really close to the stage at the Lobero.  (There is barely walking room between the seats and the stage, if someone is sitting down.)  At the end, Marc came to the very front to take a few bows, and I was tempted to pat him on the head – he seemed that close.  There seems to have been a good-sized crowd there – and every enthusiastic.  The place looked nearly sold out.

Marc announced more than once that he would be available to sign autographs after the show.  Unfortunately, I could not stay for the meet and greet.  

What a truly special evening it was – intense, emotionally charged, energetic – and I loved every minute of it!  I was only able to catch this one show on this leg of the tour, and I’m grateful that this was it.

Thank you Marc, Shane, Jon and Joe.

~ Lorraine

Last cup of tea - though I could sit here forever
Passing the life and times back and forth
Across the table with you, my ideal friend.

J. D. McClatchy - An Essay on Friendship, Part IX (1991)

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 50
DreamRedux
June 23, 2008, 7:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from DreamRedux
AOL Music Sessions – 05/2005 (Please bear with the commercials.)

Message In a Bottle

Sorry about the misdirection.  Here (really!) is

Message In a Bottle

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 50
DreamRedux
June 24, 2008, 2:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from DreamRedux
(Shane appears on the PBS special, Chris Botti:  Live DVD.)

Apologies - I got this confused with Chris Botti & Friends - Night Sessios (Live in Concert) (2002).  Shane MAY appear on both; I hope a more knowledgeable person will come along and clarify this.  But hey, why not get some great music AND support public television!  

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 50
DreamRedux
June 24, 2008, 2:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Marc Cohn, Shane Fontayne, Joe Bonadio, Jon Ossman, and an unknown accordion player (!) at the Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles on June 17, 2008.  Not full songs, but I'll take what I can get!  And that MUST be Shane's favorite shirt.  This is the third time this leg of the tour I've seen him wearing it.  Maybe he liked the style so much he owns more than one!  

Listening to Levon

Silver Thunderbird

Walking in Memphis

~ Lorraine

Revision History (1 edits)
DreamRedux  -  June 24, 2008, 3:27pm
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 50
DreamRedux
June 24, 2008, 7:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
OOps, missed one from the Hotel Cafe:

Walking in Memphis (Part 1)  (The first one is actually Part 2!)

Also, I noted that Jon Ossman IS singing backup, so apologies to Jon if he was also doing so at the Lobero and I just didn't hear him.  

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 14 - 50
DreamRedux
June 25, 2008, 2:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from DreamRedux
On June 12, 2008, Marc performed a special webcast concert at DeepRockdrive, sort of a Kulak’s Woodshed on steroids.  These are free concerts for anyone who would like to view a concert (registration required).  A viewer has the option of several camera angles at which to view the show.  Also, Marc had a set list of songs he was prepared to play.  From this list, the viewing audience voted on what he should perform next.  The photos show the wall of video screens which displayed “shout outs” to Marc and the band.  Viewers could choose to display either personal messages, or choose from a list of icons which included clapping hands, a lighter, lips, a heart or a rose.  Reports (I was unable to attend) say there were “attendees” from around the globe, such as Canada, the Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, France and 34 different states in the U.S.

So, duh, of course I should credit the source of this information:  It is the excellent, detailed, and very enthusiastic account of HEATHER (CLICK TO READ HER BLOG ENTRY), which includes a set list and blow-by-blow details of the concert.  Thanks Heather!  

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 50
DreamRedux
July 1, 2008, 7:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Here are a couple of youtubes from the fall/winter leg of the tour.

Listening to Levon (Charlotte, North Carolina 1/17/08).  Credited to the talented and amazing "MAEC COHN."  Very nice intro by Marc.  (You can't see Shane, but you can hear him.)  

29 Ways, etc. (San Francisco, California, 12/4/07).  Shane jams with Bonnie Raitt!  One of my favorite clips.  CLICK HERE to see some stills from this show.

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 50
DreamRedux
July 1, 2008, 9:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from DreamRedux
Summer festivities kicked off at Appel Farm in New Jersey on June 7, 2008.  Temperatures were recorded at over 100°.  You will see that three fans were pointed at the “main performer,” and none (that I could see) on the supporting band!  Life is so unfair . . .

Still shots from this concert:

CLICK HERE

- and -

CLICK HERE

A few more shots from Appel Farm.  

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 50
DreamRedux
July 6, 2008, 3:37am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
LOOK AT THIS ONE QUICK.  I don't expect it to be available for very long:

Marc Cohn and Jackson Browne (Television appearance, 2005)

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 50
DreamRedux
July 7, 2008, 3:51pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Quoted from DreamRedux
Summer festivities kicked off at Appel Farm in New Jersey on June 7, 2008.  Temperatures were recorded at over 100°.  You will see that three fans were pointed at the “main performer,” and none (that I could see) on the supporting band!

In all fairness to Appel Farm personnel, I spotted a fan on Shane's corner of the stage - visible in the "Rest for the Weary" video.  

And as Marc says in his latest Road Journal #8:

Quoted Text
I hope July is treating you well and that you’re listening to your local weathermen and women, who no doubt have told you to stay hydrated and to wear loose fitting clothes with light colors. Please listen to them; they’re pros and they know what they’re talking about. Summer is nothing to kid around about.

~ Lorraine

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    :::: The Fun Section ::::    Your Links  ›  Shane Fontayne

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread