You are visiting the Motion and Heart forums, the number one forums for fans of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, AKA OMD

The Motion & Heart web site is run for free. But if you did want to make a donation to the running of this site, to help to cover the running cost, then you can now make a donation via Paypal, Cheque, Postal Order . It is quick and easy to to do, and you do not need to have a Paypal account to make a donation.

Motion & Heart Our Forum OMD Fan? OMD Event Donate Shop OMD Media Mailing List

My thoughts? and yours?
December 15, 2018, 8:44pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Motion And Heart Forum    Past OMD Tours    OMD Tour 2008  ›  My thoughts? and yours? Moderators: NeilT, corky100, PaulB
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

My thoughts? and yours?  This thread currently has 4,136 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
NeilT
October 5, 2008, 11:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

"Cos Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Posts Per Day: 2.89
Time Online: 153 days 12 hours 18 minutes
I think that in 2007, and the long awaited tour that took place, one thing that really pissed me of, was many in the crowd, that were not arsed at all about OMD, they were just, as far as I go, just freaks. Most middle aged with a few bob, probably more used to going to the theater than seeing a live band. And with their <disposable income> got front row and <best seats> To sit down eat pop corn and watch a show...

Any way enough of that, regulars here will now know my feelings for these toss pots.

So this year, very much dreading the the same, but looks like, I will have to hold my hands up, and say <I WAS WRONG> could be that I was in the right place this year ( I think not) But my train of thought, is that the tossers that did the OMD concerts last year (2007) were not interested in doing it all again, so soon, so stayed at home (hence ticket sales being down) Even the bootleg T-Shirt guys had nothing to sell...

How nice its been to see people doing a few photos, and video clips... But non the the trolls from last year, that spent 1.5 hours with arms out stretched doing nothing but photos and video.

Liverpool... excellent.. The afternoon meet up, the beers, the laughs then the actual concert, what can be said (Apart from drinking from 2.00pm to 4.00am is not good   ) New faces and old faces, but most important, fans out for a good time.

I had a fan that flew in from South Africa that stayed with us for the weekend, and along with a Scottish fan, that also joined the <Bongo> tour, and wow, just how good was that...

Nottingham, well, a bit of trek, and as already mentioned so nice to see, once again new and old faces. Also nice after all of these years to now have met Maxine   Good to meet you Maxine.

Nottingham, was a bit of a strange venue, but one of the best for a long time. Cracking night out... But for Sandra, who drove us home, a rather long trek back...

So, in short, this year, we have more fans rather than freaks, although I did see a few knobs.. sat down front row..

Well done Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark Fans you are all a great lot.

"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
The Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Fan web site @ http://www.omd.me.uk/

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype
corky100
October 6, 2008, 1:02am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Saved The Phone Box
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Time Online: 26 days 23 hours 34 minutes
Yes, twas strange.

I did say to Mrs Corky how much more I enjoyed this years jolly. More forum folk seemed willing to say hello too, which was nice.
Not sure of the venue at Liverpool, did sound a little hollow - Next time if they play there I will go for centre aisle, even if I end up sat back a bit - The sound has just too reverberated really. But it didn't spoil the energy of the shows. Managed to take a load of photos, but still enjoyed the majority of the gig. You didn't think I was not going to take photos, did you?  

Good on the security folk this time too. Even though a lot of fans eventually got up and went over to the stage, they opted to just keep a careful eye rather than drag them back. Maybe this year they weren't employed by a gangster owned firm..... They know who they are

Was also great to see a family behind us, Dad really enjoying himself, and the two boys having a dance too. Should be more of that at OMD gigs really.

Glad you feel better about it all too Neil. Hopefully next year, new album to promote and now well rehearsed, the shows will be even more spectacular!

Nice to Hear Sister Marie says again too!!  

So happy to have met Pat (again) Matt (Hope he calmed down...!) Paul, Nigel, Nella and Melanie, RobR (Voiceover man!) NeilMac, Helrose, PaulWirral (always an, erm, pleasure), Dave Aviator (Thanks Dave) and STOTTM (thanks again!), International, the hidden-in-the-shadows PaulB & Chi, and many other faces I can't recall (or even know!). Great afterparty, and great atmos all round.

Shame I couldn't afford Nottingham etc, but hey...

I am all the things I regret

Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 11
TheAviator
October 6, 2008, 11:58am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Firegun
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Time Online: 9 days 2 hours 10 minutes
After Aintree wasn't sure about going. Agree at Arena it was more fans, as much as I like to see a bit on you tube
too many people hold phones high for too long.

IMO alchohol in auditorium is wrong (Aintree/Arena) ,  hence my preference for Empire as venue.

It sounded great in central section at Arena, though at Aintree we were feeling reverberation and IMO band seemed tired.

A very pleasant evening, which I could only have enjoyed more if my better half had been with me.

hopefully next time it'll be a new album and album tracks from first two albums, let the 'singles' have a rest.

sic itur ad astra
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 11
Sandra
October 6, 2008, 1:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
What can I say? I had a pretty good time last year, perhaps cos I was not nob-watching....?  
It was great to see some of the many lovely fans that I met last year for the first time and to feel not quite such a "newbie" this time around.  
The 2 venues we went to, I have to agree that the Oval was too echo-riden for my taste but it was still a great show!   Beer to sip between dancing was most welcome in my case and I ended up rather thirsty after the Nottingham gig, but the sound was tons better there and we were at the front which was pretty special.  
A huge thanks to Fred for digging us out of the ailes at the Oval and pulling us down to the front - not to mention providing us with ample lashings of OMD music at the after show party!  
It was fun to have company on our mini Bongo tour, as Neil says, an interesting drive back as we hit flooded roads with all the heavy rain. Lucky for us the Bongo is tall so the engine didn't stall - good old Bongo!  
Only sorry there was not more time to chat to more of the peeps I have got to know the last couple of years - especially Maxine and Paul who we managed to keep missing.   Got there in the end, if briefly! Lovely to meet you both
The shows themselves were top class as ever and also very touching when Andy said on stage "I love you Toni!" Awwww

May there be many more shows to come, hopefully with new sets - will have to wait and see!  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 3 - 11
MJB
October 6, 2008, 9:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married &amp; Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.11
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Well Me? (Us, in fact, cos I DID have Craig with me even though I was (knowingly) separated from him! )

Craig thoroughly enjoyed it, and said that he could sing along to more than he thought I would.... all my playing of OMD has obviously unconsciously gone in; and I've converted him to a fully fledged fan!!!

Me? Well, it's gotta be the best night I've had since my 40th party earlier this year. There was a little bit of trouble where I was standing with Stephanie, Paula, Pat and Sarah (nice to meet you all) but with a Security Guy right behind me, I was able to just switch it off and enjoy the music....

Paul - lovely to meet you; you need to get your bum back on this forum though!!!  

Neil and Sandra - delighted to meet you both; especially Neil since I have known you for nearly 9 years!!!  

I second your thoughts on Andy's comment to Toni Sandra! Also, Andy said they "kicked arse".... DID THEY EVER!!!!!????!!!!!

Next year (she says, hopefully) we will do a couple of venues and have overnight stays.

We did go to the stage door in the rain til 23:30hrs, but with Craig facing the long drive home (like you Sandra); we had to give up. Better luck next year hopefully. I've waited 30 years to meet them, so one more year won't be too bad!  

The atmosphere was electric, the music fantastic, and the whole experience.... AWESOME!!!

I felt as though I was a teenager again!!!!

So glad I got to meet all you great people too!  

Roll on next year!!

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 11
petec
October 14, 2008, 7:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Time Online: 9 hours 52 minutes
Pretty much agree Neil - almost ended up in a fight recently watching Massive Attack at the Castlefield Arena. Two guys who pushed their way to the front were then more interested in filming the concert on mobiles (which will probably never see the light of day again) completely obliterating our view, whilst chatting loudly about their rugby teams extra curricular activities - when asked politely if they were bothered about watching the band they said we should move but were persuaded otherwise when i threatened to ram the offending mobile where the sun don't shine swiftly followed by his mate who was doing his best to lick that cavity anyway!.

Ok! - sorry for the rant.

Anyway, more enjoyably, onto OMD - I've got to admit that last year at Dublin was special, being the first big concert that the band had done together for 20 or so years, the reaction of the crowd and the bands visible realisation that they still had 'an audience' that night will live with me for a long time  - I also did Liverpool (disappointing, the crowd were a bit too cool for school, distant and wanted to be entertained) and Manchester (great atmosphere, the place was bouncing)

This year i managed Liverpool and London. Out of the two I'd say that London was much better, the venue could have been purpose built for the band and i also thought the crowd were more in tune with the band. The Echo arena was a bit souless, too big for the band, had a leaky roof and twenty pounds plus for a round of three warm plastic bottles of lager and a coke was outrageous!

I thought that the setlist was slightly stronger this time round - the inclusion of Statues (fantastic to the lighting), Stanlow and Dazzle Ships caught me by surprise but they both worked well. Radio Waves always seemed like an obvious 'live' song but may have been better a little later in the set. I did miss Georgia though   Enjoyed China Crisis too after missing them in Liverpool.

As Corky has already said it was great to see so many younger faces, most of whom didn't seem that bothered at being 'dragged' along by mum and dad - the toddler who could've only been three but moving better than any of the dancers on here to Electricity.

Not sure what the bands plans are for the future - hopefully they can tour soon with some new material. Just please try to accomodate the 'standers'.

As ever great to meet up with the new and old faces;

The Old - in no particular order! Neil, Sandra, Helen, Paul, Steve, Pat, Andy (puressence) plus a few others

And the new guy from SA (who's name i can't remember), Sue Chapman and god knows who else!

and thanks once again to Neil for the afterparty at the Solna

Revision History (3 edits)
petec  -  October 14, 2008, 7:48pm
petec  -  October 14, 2008, 7:43pm
petec  -  October 14, 2008, 7:42pm
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 11
MJB
October 14, 2008, 11:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Mod
Married &amp; Happy
Posts Per Day: 3.11
Time Online: 27 days 14 hours 23 minutes
Nice to see you back petec, hope to see you more now???  

M    A    X    I    N    E  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 11
NeilT
October 15, 2008, 12:17am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
Quoted Text
Nice to see you back petec, hope to see you more now???
Agree  

Find the Motion and Heart Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/MotionandHeart
Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 7 - 11
petec
October 15, 2008, 8:53am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Time Online: 9 hours 52 minutes
thanks guys - i'll certainly try to get on a bit more now
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 11
Sandra
October 15, 2008, 12:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

I'm very close to far away...
The More I See You
Dont touch me.. I may blow up
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Time Online: 56 days 9 hours 11 minutes
Hi Pete,
It was nice to see you and Leanne in Livepool.  

You've still got the same avatar too... hee  

Onwards and upwards...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 11
amber
October 26, 2008, 9:12am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Hold the sun!
The More I See You
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Time Online: 3 days 15 hours 1 minutes
There has been four wonders in my life- Hammersmith2x, Aintree and Roundhause. Can't say, which one was the best, cos everyone had something very special for me. The first Hammersmith gig was the first OMD gig in my life, the second- i was in the front row.
Aintree. Well, that greatest adventure in my life that happened before the gig... Mr TheAviator felt, band were tired, but i through my pink galssess saw, they celebrated victory over happy fans souls&hearts.
During this gig i saw light, warm and glowing auras around them all, but Mr McCluskey's one was especially bright.
Never had time to watch the public- the band always took absolutely all my attention. This year one gig was totally less for me. I even had no time to watch the screens (just the beginning of "Messages" to see, how my letter was multiplied by three. ).
Last year i managed to get couple of photos during "Talking" and "Enola". This year my camera was somewhere in the bag on the floor. I simply forgot about it, therefore so i'm happy to watch the pics and vids the others managed to get.
Now i'm waiting for the next tour. And for me it isn't matter what songs will They perform- i love and adore everything. What will the other people in the public do? It also isn't a problem. Just let me be next to the Forums members, dance and enjoy the show!

Do i glorify OMD? ... But they make me happy and strong. Always. This music is a part of me. I'm crazy, i know, but i can do nothing about it.

I live in Heaven, and
HEAVEN IS OMD!!!

How many times have feelings vanished in your head?
How many times must they be lost before they're said?
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 11
NeilT
October 27, 2008, 11:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Administrator
Keeping everyone happy
sounds like you have enjoyed amber  

Site Site Private Message Private message Windows Live Messenger WLM Skype Skype Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Motion And Heart Forum    Past OMD Tours    OMD Tour 2008  ›  My thoughts? and yours?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread