Print Topic - Archive

Motion And Heart Forum  /  Voting Booth  /  Should we ban smoking altogether ?
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 14, 2006, 11:16pm
My poll is all about if we should ban smoking forever or just keep it as it is (just banned in pubs)

I say yes, but what do you think

YES 1%
NO  0%
Posted by: NeilT, July 15, 2006, 8:10am; Reply: 1
if you ban something, then you just push it underground, where the criminals get involved!
Posted by: nigel2568, July 15, 2006, 8:44am; Reply: 2
I've never been a smoker, but i don't think there should be a total ban either. There should be some form of segregation or smoking area for those who wish/need to smoke. (which happens in most places now anyway)

Can you imagine 4million nicotine craving people roaming the streets of Britain. It would be a total nightmare.
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 15, 2006, 11:49am; Reply: 3
I do agree with that, but the thing that freaks me out is that young kids at about my age are smoking.......now theres something wrong there
Posted by: corky100, July 16, 2006, 12:39am; Reply: 4
If they ban smoking, I would like them to also ban

Mobiles on buses (especially in Liverpool where everyone thinks they're Dom Jolly)

Children under 18 being outside after 8pm.

Any kind of dangerous dog dragging some hooded excuse for a kid behind them clinging for dear life to a leash.

White Lightning and cheap kiddy booze. who likes cranberry flavoured lager anyway, even at 15p a litre?

Blokes driving girls cars (Corsa, etc) with spoilers, blue lights and shades that Stevie Wonder would feel embarassed to wear while listening to teenage rap at 800db. Laughable.

Any kind of official who is an 'expert' at everything after completing a 2 day course in his chosen field and thinks they know more than you when quite obviously they don't. They waste more of taxpayers money than any social problem or the NHS. I believe the PC term is 'red tape'.

Any ringtone by Eminem.

Meterazzi from all football grounds worldwide.

On a serious note, why ban smoking and still allow dangerous amounts of emmisions from industry, cars etc when these are a far more direct cause of the same 'related' illnesses. Again, target the 'easy' prey and pass the buck. We British are good at that.

I smoke but wouldn't impose it on anyone, I won't smoke anywhere I shouldn't, I don't even smoke in the car if we give someone a lift.
But I for one would definitely flout any No Smoking law simply because its another case of Big Brother sneaking in through the back door disgued in a 'PC' cloak. Its pathetic denying the ordinary someone a 'right' to choose (VERY un-PC in fact) when 'exclusive' clubs would be exempt from these laws. And where do these Lawmakers go for a drink? George and Dragon? I don't think so.....

Next they'll want to ban free speech in case you upset the minority, or the majority, or both.
Who goes? You decide!
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 16, 2006, 3:28pm; Reply: 5
I'm not going to smoke when I'm older..........I might drink, but I'm not going to smoke..no way
Posted by: NeilT, July 16, 2006, 7:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted Text
Mobiles on buses
in fact mobile phones in public places!!!
Posted by: Karin c., July 16, 2006, 10:00pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Stephanie
I'm not going to smoke when I'm older..........I might drink, but I'm not going to smoke..no way

Keep that thaught about no smoking when your older  ;)
I smoke and it is very difficult to stop  :K)
About you might drink :-/
If you want to drink, DON"T DRINK TO MUCH :(
Smoke and drink alcohol to much is NOT GOOD FOR YOU (wink)
Please take my advice, i mend it well :K) :K)
Posted by: Karin c., July 16, 2006, 10:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from NeilT
in fact mobile phones in public places!!!

Jeah, that is very frustrated :(
Where you are and where you go, you hear always a mobile phone ??)

Posted by: corky100, July 16, 2006, 10:58pm; Reply: 9
I don't mind mobiles so much, just the Dom Jolly impersonations.....

And those Bluetooth headset idiots are just so laughable to see its hard not to feel sorry for the daft sods.

Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat Stephanie, but its 1% NO from me..... :D
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 17, 2006, 12:07pm; Reply: 10
I will take your good advice Karin, and Ok Corky I will put that down

YES 0%
NO 2%

I've changed my mind, and I think that we shouldn't ban smoking
Posted by: Karin c., July 17, 2006, 3:57pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Stephanie
I will take your good advice Karin, and Ok Corky I will put that down

YES 0%
NO 2%

I've changed my mind, and I think that we shouldn't ban smoking

You may have your own opinion Stephanie ;)
You haven"t to change it because anybody is thinking differently from you :K)
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 17, 2006, 6:34pm; Reply: 12
Well I don't know if we should
Posted by: Sandra, July 18, 2006, 9:48pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Karin_c.

Keep that thaught about no smoking when your older  ;)
I smoke and it is very difficult to stop  :K)
About you might drink :-/
If you want to drink, DON"T DRINK TO MUCH :(
Smoke and drink alcohol to much is NOT GOOD FOR YOU (wink)
Please take my advice, i mend it well :K) :K)

Good point, Karin. Once you start smoking, it's very difficult to stop. This has come up on other threads, but I question the element of "free choice" when so many are addicted. And of the kids that smoke, you can safely bet that the majority were breathing the smoke of their parents, even before they were born, so where is the "free choice" there?  :-/
I don't think a total ban is the answer. Most smokers now are MUCH more considerate these days, thankfully!  :) Have to say, though that as a non-somker, I much prefer the smell of roll-ups. ;)

Karin, please note that in English we say "I mean well", rather than "I mend it well". Sorry for mentioning it, but I know you want to improve your English.  :K)
Posted by: NeilT, July 18, 2006, 10:14pm; Reply: 14
well, when I am out in public, it is not that often that you will see me smoke!!
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 18, 2006, 10:25pm; Reply: 15
My dad tried to stop smoking once........but it didn't work
Posted by: Sandra, July 19, 2006, 8:53am; Reply: 16
Quoted from NeilT
well, when I am out in public, it is not that often that you will see me smoke!!

very true  :)

Posted by: Karin c., July 19, 2006, 4:29pm; Reply: 17
Thank you Sandra (104))
English is sometimes difficult  ;)
Thanks for helping :K)
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 19, 2006, 9:29pm; Reply: 18
I think your English is really good Karin, Ok there are some mistakes, but apart from that
it's really good.
I'm trying to learn French at school, you could say that I am pretty good.
Posted by: Karin c., July 19, 2006, 10:27pm; Reply: 19
I am glad for you Stephanie ;)

Frence is a difficult language too, i speak NO frence at all.
But i must admit that i haven"t learn English at school.
How to speak or write English i learn it from songs or films on tv.
The more i listen or read English (also this forum) the more i learn from it 8) :K)

With thanx to you all xxxxxxxxxxxx :K)
Posted by: Sandra, July 19, 2006, 10:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Karin_c.
Thank you Sandra (104))
English is sometimes difficult  ;)
Thanks for helping :K)

Glad you understand, Karin.  :) I only mentioned "mean" instead of "mend" because you wrote it several times, so you must have been thinking it was correct. If we don't tell you, how can you learn?  :-/
Pleased to be of help  :)
Posted by: Karin c., July 19, 2006, 10:44pm; Reply: 21
I know you do,
Thank you again :K)
Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, July 19, 2006, 11:00pm; Reply: 22
I can you too.........with the things I know that is
Like TV channels from across the world
Posted by: MJB, August 7, 2006, 6:41am; Reply: 23
Quoted from nigel2568
I've never been a smoker, but i don't think there should be a total ban either. There should be some form of segregation or smoking area for those who wish/need to smoke. (which happens in most places now anyway)

Exactly my sentiments there nigel

Posted by: Stephanie -Angel Wings-, August 7, 2006, 12:24pm; Reply: 24
I forgotten what the % was now, I'll have to try and remember
Posted by: MJB, October 14, 2007, 8:40pm; Reply: 25
Well, the do-gooders got what they wanted on this subject didn't they???  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

(And no, I'm not a smoker)
Posted by: Lego man, October 14, 2007, 8:44pm; Reply: 26
Pity. If you want a fag - dont blow it over people or food. Surely we pay enough tax on the things to go to a little spot and have a fag? While waiting at a hospital in Cornwall - I couldnt have one for three hours!!!!!!
Posted by: djpamm31, October 14, 2007, 9:29pm; Reply: 27
well,this is a very difficult object.At one side I say yes to banning smoking in pubs and restaurants,but on the other side no.
Reason.People who smoked,had to go outside to smoke a sigarette.They will never go to the restaurant with no smoking again.
Posted by: Lego man, October 14, 2007, 9:54pm; Reply: 28
If a landlord wants a smoking pub - its up to him. I agree smoking in restaurants isnt fair - but anyone smoking over food doesnt deserve a choice!
Posted by: NeilT, October 14, 2007, 10:54pm; Reply: 29
There are all sorts of problems taking place right now with this law, cant say too much, but with so many people being in beer gardens/outside smoking, there are local problems all over the country... with noise, litter and much more....
Posted by: Lego man, October 14, 2007, 11:46pm; Reply: 30
Plus, with loads of people stood outside high street pubs - it looks a mess!
Posted by: MJB, October 15, 2007, 6:05pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from djpamm31
well,this is a very difficult object.At one side I say yes to banning smoking in pubs and restaurants,but on the other side no.
Reason.People who smoked,had to go outside to smoke a sigarette.They will never go to the restaurant with no smoking again.

djpamm, in the UK now smoking is banned in ALL restaurants, working places, pubs etc etc, that's why I think it's wrong.....

Posted by: PaulB, October 15, 2007, 7:31pm; Reply: 32
I'm just happy that I can go out to clubs and pubs now and not have to come back home reeking of smoke every time. It's made going out a lot more enjoyable.

I can appreciate that there's an issue of freedom of choice, but previously the non-smokers were forced to endure this. I suspect that if you replace smoking with taking heroin in that context the argument would soon shift!
Posted by: corky100, October 15, 2007, 7:57pm; Reply: 33
problem is that smoking in pubs has been the mainstay of british Pub leisure for hundreds of years, although its more of a danger in nightclubs to be honest. Now I agree that smoking should be banned in places, such as where food is served, even in pubs.

Problem is the alcohol is more likely to kill you than the smoke from someone else's tab. And as Neil so nearly said, the violence that drunken smokers are getting into is escalating, as is noise from legal outside shelters, and the litter caused. Realy well thought out law don't you think? Was it rushed through, perhaps?

So while it should be banned in circumstances where it can be considered rude, such as food outlets, child friendly places, work etc, Pub leisure is not one of them. There are loads of alternatives for both smokers and non smokers, and freedom of choice is just that, the choices are there, make one.

I think I would still have been against this, even if a non smoker. The ban smacks too much to me of conformist and defeatist alternatives to appease the agenda bashers. I think we are more scared of being stamped to death by a bunch of these 'mythical' hoodies than smoked, yet THAT agenda is skipped happily by like a maypole.

Getting tough on the ordinary people is not the way to win elections, its dealing with the issues ordinary people face. And lets face it, until someone said 'ooo, lets ban smoking!' it was never really an issue i can honestly say anyone fought vehemently for.

There are three major issues in this country. Tax, Crime and immigration. They failed all three miserably and intentionally, as they do every year. So they make amends by bringing in new ones to penalise hard working people, same as they always do.

And as for Londoners asking for £2 an hour more than everyone else in the country.....how pathetic. Don't we struggle everywhere else? I can't afford to by a house anymore, and I work damn hard. So wheres my compensation? I thought the government said there was NO north south divide? if that was true, then justify this to me, someone.......

Ooops. Back to topic.

Against. :D
Posted by: NeilT, October 15, 2007, 11:12pm; Reply: 34
You should get into polotics Corky  ;D

The sensible solution would to have <private> members bars, where you could smoke if you were a member, this way, the staff, and clients, all would know, that they would be entering a smoke zone.

Does seem strange that when we had no smoking bars, before the ban, many failed..
Posted by: Sandra, October 16, 2007, 3:29pm; Reply: 35
better stay out of this one  ;)
Posted by: Lego man, October 16, 2007, 4:31pm; Reply: 36
Corky: I could not have put that better myself. Agree with every word - even the fullstops!!!!
Posted by: PaulB, October 16, 2007, 7:19pm; Reply: 37
I think that the argument that smoking is (only) bad form in certain circumstances, such as where food is served, is denying the very real health issues. It's a killer and I'd argue that it's got more health-related issues that alcohol abuse - and I use the word "abuse" because I don't believe alcohol in moderation is an issue, whereas smoking is playing Russian Roulette every time you light up.

The Freedom of Choice argument is all very well and good, but it denies the non-smoker from a choice does it not? Prior to this ban, we had no choice in the matter as far as clubs go.

Quoted from NeilT

The sensible solution would to have <private> members bars, where you could smoke if you were a member, this way, the staff, and clients, all would know, that they would be entering a smoke zone.

IIRC that's actually the state of play at the moment.  8)

Posted by: Lego man, October 16, 2007, 7:35pm; Reply: 38
Dont know if I can agree with that. If you tot up how many deaths or injuries from both - surely drink is worse?
Posted by: NeilT, October 16, 2007, 8:28pm; Reply: 39
There are many ways that we have abuse, the headline yesterday was that Obsesity was going to be the bigger killer and threat to life than anything else....

Hey lets ban food :)
Posted by: MJB, October 16, 2007, 8:49pm; Reply: 40
Good idea, I'll have alcohol instead!!! (wink_2)(wink_2)(wink_2)(wink_2)
Posted by: NeilT, October 16, 2007, 8:50pm; Reply: 41
Quoted Text
Good idea, I'll have alcohol instead!!!
in a smoky bar  ;D
Posted by: MJB, October 16, 2007, 8:54pm; Reply: 42
;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Lego man, October 16, 2007, 8:57pm; Reply: 43
And then go to a pre arranged dental appointment on the NHS.
Posted by: NeilT, September 21, 2010, 11:57pm; Reply: 44
Well for me, its been more thann 18 months since I had a smoke..
Posted by: Sandra, September 23, 2010, 10:20pm; Reply: 45
I'm genuinely impressed about this. x
Posted by: NeilT, September 23, 2010, 10:41pm; Reply: 46
Quoted Text
I'm genuinely impressed about this

Said I would....  :)
Posted by: MJB, September 25, 2010, 5:12pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from NeilT
Well for me, its been more thann 18 months since I had a smoke..

Very impressive!!! (103))

My parents gave up in 2006 and neither of them have caved in....

So, I'm proud of all three of you! Neil, Mum and Dad!!! (104))
Posted by: Sandra, September 26, 2010, 9:56pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from NeilT

Said I would....  :)

still impressed though x
Print page generated: February 24, 2018, 11:48am