Print Topic - Archive

Motion And Heart Forum  /  The Techie Forum  /  At Last! New ISP for corky, and decent speed too!
Posted by: corky100, February 21, 2008, 6:18pm
Finally helped toll the death knell for AOL, and today got switched over to BE* for our internet connection today.

Initially we're getting speeds around 12MB, but it takes 14 days for them to tune your settings to skeep the connection stable. We could, all being well (best scenario) see speed of up to 16MB. Thats when it all goes techy and you account for SNR Levels and noise, copper wire quality and blah blah blah..... ::)

So, maybe I can get back to dowloading properly again when I get home, instead of work keeping me up late because of ridiculously stringent throttling tactics (no more 500kb connections then!)

Wonder how long AOL (AKA Carphone Warehouse) will be able to keep its head above water now.... :P
Posted by: nigel2568, February 21, 2008, 6:22pm; Reply: 1
Great news Corky, things going right at last!  ;D
Posted by: DreamRedux, February 21, 2008, 6:34pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from corky100
Thats when it all goes techy and you account for SNR Levels and noise, copper wire quality and blah blah blah.....

Yeah.  I just HATE it when that happens!   :P

Seriously, glad things are looking up!   8)
Posted by: corky100, February 21, 2008, 8:45pm; Reply: 3

Lets see how long THIS lasts! ;D

Hee hee hee... The stick just got FASTER!! ;D
Posted by: NeilT, February 21, 2008, 9:45pm; Reply: 4
who is BE?
Posted by: corky100, February 21, 2008, 10:30pm; Reply: 5
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

(I took the unlimited package)

I think owned by O2 now. They came highly rated too....
Posted by: Sandra, February 21, 2008, 10:48pm; Reply: 6
Sounds quicker than a flash of lightening compared to 500kb...  :o

Glad you go that sorted Corky! Enjoy.  8)
Posted by: davemings, February 22, 2008, 9:50am; Reply: 7
Quoted from corky100

Lets see how long THIS lasts! ;D

Hee hee hee... The stick just got FASTER!! ;D

Impressive upload speed. I have Virgins's 20M service, although I only pay for 4M, but the upload speed isn't great. Virgin is due to go to 50M later this year, which is interesting as most people can't get anywhere near 20 with current service.

To be honest I'd now rather have less cost as opposed to any speed increase.
Posted by: Love42, February 22, 2008, 10:31am; Reply: 8

Didn't get that high speed to London  :)

Posted by: corky100, March 2, 2008, 12:44am; Reply: 9
Well, looks good after a week. No loss in speed (still 12MB up and 1.1MB down) and a pretty steady connection. Only the one outage (during the first night in the small hours) but otherwise fine.

Strange thing is, AOL now seem to think I cancelled my Phone connection, and not Broadband for some reason....... Arse and Elbow, Arse and Elbow......... ;D
Posted by: NeilT, March 2, 2008, 2:18am; Reply: 10
AOL 4U
Print page generated: December 4, 2020, 10:50pm